Monday, February 14, 2011

And so....I could sing Love Stinks...

Hmmm? So it’s been a week since I’ve posted. Surely something interesting happened last week. Lemme think.

Taps head thinking…

Shifts in seat thinking…

More tapping of head…

Ooo, I know. I did and mailed in my taxes.  I’ll be getting a refund which will promptly go into “Save-Jenn-from-Starvation-during-her-3-months-off-in-June” fund. Or as I like to call it SJFSDH#MOIJ. I think I need to work on the acronym.

I also attended a fantastic Getting Started meetings. Each meeting, while the same format, is different and unique in its own way. The faces that come through the door to hear about the 3day are usually full of excitement, fear, uncertainty, and sometimes tears.  Still, the participants sit and listen to all the 3Day is and does.  Some came already registered, many leave registered.  Each meeting reminds me again why I’m involved with this special organization.  The spirit and love that surrounds the 3day is addicting. There’s so much sadness that it represents, but it also represents hope.  The money the 3day has raised has gone to fund some of the most cutting edge new treatments for breast cancer.  Seeing that treatments are “better” (its hard to say better when you’re discussing cancer treatments), more exact, and extend lives of many who may not have had a fighting chance.

I have another coming up this week too. I can hardly wait.

I also had lunch with a friend from the former employer who shall not be named.  Immediately following the Great Unemployment Adventure of 2009 I defriended her from FB.  In fact, I defriended anyone and everyone associated to that employer.  She wrote me a very sweet, nice email that said first and foremost, “I understand why…” And then she proceed to say that she hoped one day I’d reconsider and friend her again. 

I knew I had reacted harshly – considering the news.  But to see an email from her in which she “hoped” I’d reconsider, spoke volumes to me about her character and what type of person she was.  It wasn’t HER who made me unemployed. She just had the bad luck to work for the company who had.  So I added her back to FB.  And we had lunch last week and it was GREAT to get caught up with her.  We did everything we could to refrain from gossiping but we just couldn’t … okay we really didn’t even try to refrain.

Then the weekend was upon me. Saturday I spent a good portion of the day inputting recipes for this fund raising cookbook I’m doing. I need 200 recipes, have 147, and inputted 50. I thought I had put in way more, but counted wrong. Ugh!  I’m on a tight schedule now and am trying to get it done by Feb 28th in order to save $$ on the order.

Saturday night, BigBro, Seattle SIL and I went to our favorite pizza joint, Northlake Tavern.  We barely had to look at the menu, we knew we’d order the Logger Special.  The large pie weighs 6 lbs.  We opted for a medium, which weighed in at 4.5 lbs. That’s a lotta pie.

After stuffing ourselves silly, we ventured to the Shanty Tavern to watch The Yank’s new band the Soul Proprietors play.  Interesting little tidbit about the Shanty Tavern, I’ve driven past this bar a thousand times. Every time it makes me shiver because it looks like such a dive. I imagine the type of clientele they have and just know that a bar room brawl breaks out every night. “Shots fired at the Shanty,” is heard on the local police scanners.  Turns out the little joint wasn’t at all what I expected. Clean, quite clean really (either that or they kept it dark enough for me to not notice.) Anyway, it was as entertaining of a night as any.  The band was exceptionally good. I liked all the songs they sang, and wasn’t overly surprised that I knew the words to about 80% of them.

The Sunday was Sunday dinner.  The usual suspects showed up.  Chicken Pot Pie was on the menu at Chez Jenn’s and I’ve gotta say, it was delicious. Of course it was delicious, it was an American Test Kitchen recipe…what’s not to like with them.


Today is the dreaded Valentine’s day.  Not sure if I’ll ever be happy about this day – as my mom stated, “Don’t think about it as Valentine’s day. Think of it as your sister’s birthday.” So that’s what I’m going to do.  No hearts, no love, no chocolates, no roses...just another day. A birthday in fact.

On a much happier note, BeagleBabe contacted me last night to "hire" me to shoot her husband's 40th birthday party at Canlis - one of the swankiest restaurants in Seattle. And she wants to pay me. Now I've got to figure out how much I'm worth. 

0 comments: