Monday, February 07, 2011

Operation: Find a Guy


eHarmony seems to have really got their lines crossed with regard to my matches.  Let me ‘splain.

90% of the matches I’ve received have been “outdoorsy” men.  I’m not talking Grizzly Adams type, but men who like skiing, camping, hiking, fishing, boating, skiing, hiking, fishing, climbing big mountains, gardening, being outdoors whenever possible.

Now, I have nothing against men like that. In fact, the world needs them. Without hikers, we’d never even have the Northwest (Louis and Clark were essentially hikers). Without skiers we’d never have – well, I’m not sure what they bring to the table. Without fishermen our streams and rivers would overflow with fish.  I get that these are fun, exciting ways to pass time for most…but not necessarily for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I like being outdoors, but my idea of camping is at the Westin. Skiing as a past time I let go of some 10 years ago when falling was more the sport than skiing.  Fishing? Blech…fish…

I fought against this for years, this “need” to be outdoorsy in the Northwest is strong – it’s in almost every fiber of every Northwesterner’s being.  I’m not a pure blood Northwesterner so I’m lacking this gene…which is fine by me.

My outdoors adventure usually involves walking with my camera in hand trying to find something interesting to shoot.  On a sunny day, Seattle is the most beautiful place there is and after a long, wet, winter, being outdoors is something I crave.  I just don’t feel like I have to be outdoors every second of every waking hour.  My Seattle Sister-in-Law said it best years ago –even though it bothered me then, but she was right – she said, “you aren’t the “get your hands dirty” type.”  And that would be right.

Right, so back to the matches.  So far, I’ve sent the “getting to know you” communication to 35 men.  One has responded – we’ll call him Phil. And unfortunately I did not realize that “Phil” was 53 at the time I sent the communication or I wouldn’t have even started it. That’s too old for me.  A guy friend this weekend who’s also doing the online dating told me his “rule of thumb” for age is half his age plus 7 years.  I can’t live by that rule…because I so can’t see myself with a 28 year old.

I’m rewriting my profile with the help of a few friends.  Though I’m not sure that will do any good.  This weekend I decided I need to branch out onto more sights.  The first rule of selling anything is getting out there in every possible place you can. And so I’m “getting it out there”.

One of the sites I’m a user of now, I got matched with a guy who prefers to have his women hypnotized. Though he doesn’t say “all the time” or how often…I just found that amusing. 

Another match today I have to give kudos for being honest…admits he’s married and admits he’s only looking for an “intimate friend”. Next.

Another match likes to dress up in Renaissance era clothing. That’s it. He doesn’t actually say “and go to Renaissance fairs”…

And yet another says, “I currently don't have a car, and I've decided I just don't want to even think about meeting new people until I've changed that, so I consider my profile to be on hold.”

Alright then…moving on.

Yesterday at the All Female Superbowl party I had one of my friends asked each of us about our "type" of man.  Two of the three women in the party really prefer the athletically built type.  I believe the word "chiseled" was used.  They had other things on their list and as I sat and listened to them describe I thought, "Huh, no competition in this room for my type".

While "chiseled" and "athletic" are fun to look at, I don't really see that as a reality for me. Nor do I find myself overly attracted to those types (that doesn't mean I can't and don't appreciate a mighty fine body).  And maybe its because I've seen so many "types" online, but it seems the more natural, real looking type -you know the one's who have a few extra pounds or a little belly - seem to be the type I'm attracted to.  It could be because I'm that type too and figured I'd likely attract the same type (I mean lions are only interested in female lions - not female cougars).

It was interesting to hear their "types" and I tried to imagine each of them with those types.  One I could the other I couldn't.  I do think one of them has a Cinderella complex and wonders if she'll be able to step down from the carriage long enough to find a good guy.

In the meantime, I’m not giving up, not by a long shot, in fact, I’m rather enjoying all the “potential” fish out there…its entertaining me and giving me blog fodder…

1 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

"Louis and Clark were essentially hikers."

Wow, Jenn. Just... Wow. You hit the funny and stupid and mind-numbingly understated nails on the head - all at the same time! But I love it.

It's like "Hitler was essentially a motivational speaker" or "Custer was essentially a very poor tour guide" or "Ben Franklin was essentially a very fortunate hobbyist". I'm going to be doing that all day now!