Monday, May 14, 2012

Lipstick and other such fancy stuff

The sun was out in Seattle this weekend.  You know what that means right? It means every one and their dog was on the road and out and about doing something. My weekend was entirely too exhausting and now I need some rest.  Besides losing my 20th lb, which was exhausting and exciting on so many levels, here's what else took place in the life of Jenn.

My back deck was green. Not from paint or anything fancy like that, but from moss. Seattle buildings, cars and people, tend to have this green slimy mossy covering on them.  If you let it go it can be a beast to get rid of.  I had let the deck go for long enough.  Plus, the sun was high in the sky and it was HOT (well for Seattle) what better time to clean the moss off. The deck looks good now. It still needs another good scrubbing, but it'll do for now.

The cob webs were getting out of control too. I'm pretty sure, if it were possible, I could weave the cob webs that I dusted or swept up into a nice dress for myself.  There were THAT many.  Now Redmond has a few displaced spiders who's homes have been destroyed.

The laundry mound is now nothing but an empty basket.  Not only did I do TONS of laundry, but I actually folded it and put it away.  What a concept, I know.  It was odd to get dressed in my room today and not sneak downstairs and get dressed in the downstairs bathroom.  It was way more efficient too, I might have to start working on doing this every week. 

Because it was so nice this weekend, all the windows in the house were open.  By opening them, I was able to see all the gunk, dirt, and dead bugs on the windowsills.  They all got a good wipe down too. I don't think I got them all, but most of them are at least clean for now.

Sparky and I took to the streets to meet the Landlords for dinner on Saturday night.  We drove 15 miles out of our way to get to dinner.  It was sunny, remember?  We ate at this dive-ish bar in downtown Bellevue called The Spot on Main.  Not a large menu, and my meal was gross.  The waitress - who had seen better days and was using makeup to hide the weathered life she had - informed us that there was no chef and the wait staff was fixing the meals.  Oh boy.  I ordered a burger and figured, how hard could that be? Apparently difficult.  It was gross.  I ate it, but it was gross.

I had to have Breakfast with the Pantry Goat too.  It was another glorious day so I drove out to West Seattle to pick her up. We weren't sure where we were going to go, but we headed into Seattle. She suggested Pike Place Market for breakfast.  My inclination was, "Are you kidding? Pike Place on a sunny Sunday that happens to be Mother's day?"  The hoards of people I knew we'd be fighting just didn't seem appetizing.  Still, I stuffed that thought away and decided to go with the flow.  We found parking that required us to do some exercise to get to the market, so at least I'd be working off the breakfast I was about to have.


We settled on the Athenian.  Turns out this was the restaurant Tom Hanks and Rob Reiner sat in in a scene from Sleepless in Seattle.  In fact the stools they sat on have plaques indicating as much.


I didn't even realize this restaurant was here. I've walked past it a hundred times and never noticed.  It's an old structure that had some great views from upstairs.  Decent food, but nothing WOW'ing about it. 

After dumping the goat off at her waterfront villa, I headed home. I wanted to put another good scrubbing on the deck and get some more stuff done around the house.  Blueberry and her brother came by and got his stuff I'd been storing in my garage out. Well, most of it.  In the process, Blueberry was moving a mirror then started to drop it and in her attempt to not drop the mirror and break it incurring 7 years of bad luck, she chose to fall to the ground and catch it. In doing so, she tagged the back end of Sparky and gave Sparky a little ding.  She, apparently, thought my wrath was better than 7 years bad luck from the mirror. I let her live, but barely.

Okay so it's just a small scratch.

The Pantry Goat needed more food so she came over for a proper burger last night.  My burger itch hadn't been scratch on Saturday so I needed something to get me through the week.  Surprisingly, with all the crap I at this weekend I managed to not gain an ounce back. Woot.

Lastly, I cleaned out my bathroom drawers last night. I don't have much in my drawers and found the bottom drawer almost completely empty.  But I did find some lipsticks I hadn't worn in forever. Some time ago I stopped wearing lipsticks. Not sure why, but I remembered at my friend Lourdes' Celebration of Life her sisters talking about how Lourdes said to always have "lips" on cuz you never know who you'll meet.  I decided last night to start wearing lips again.  Thanks Lourdes for the reminder.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out how to take a nap today AND work at the same time.

0 comments: