Tuesday, July 17, 2012

At the Crossroads

I'm in a quandary about my weight loss journey.

In January I started this journey with a plan and a goal. I've done pretty well keeping to both. Part of my plan was to do Jenny Craig.  I've done Jenny in the past and was successful in the past. And I knew what my issue would be with them, I just didn't know when my issue would become an ISSUE.

What I like about Jenny is the simplicity.  I don't really have to think much about what I'm putting into my system. It's all thought out for me. 

What I hate about Jenny is the simplicity.  The food is good, but I only like a handful of the items, and thus I get bored with their food quickly. I supplement their meals with Weight Watchers frozen items, and Lean Cuisine frozen items.  And I think to myself, why am I just not doing those and take Jenny out of the equation?

I've been taking notes for 6 months now about low calorie snacks, meals, etc.  I have a pretty good idea what I can do and how I can move from Jenny to real life.

But it scares me to death.

The other portion of Jenny that I find I really need is the weekly accountability.  The knowing that every Saturday I have to step on a scale and a person who's rooting for me is waiting for that number to come up.  Not wanting to disappoint, I push myself to make sure that number is lower than the week before.  Not only do I not disappoint this person, but I get a gold star. And we all know how much I love my gold stars.

What scares me if the what if I can't be successful in the real world?  What if I can't keep my calorie intake to 1500 / day? What if I can't lose any weight on my own? And worst of all, what if I fail?

I so don't want to start going in reverse again, and am so afraid that without someone to check in with weekly that I will be more likely to be "ok" with cheating.

And that's when it hit me.

I'm still accountable to every single one of you. I've made it part of my plan to communicate about this journey and to make sure that every single person I know knows I'm doing this.  I suspect, knowing you all the way I do, that if I started going in reverse, one or many of you would kick me in my arse. 

So I think I may start taking baby steps back into the real world.  I need to think hard and long about this and maybe just give it a try. I can always go back to Jenny if it's not working out. I mean after all, I bought the lifetime plan there years ago for that very reason.

Next week I think I'm going to give it a go.  I think I'm going to take a good portion of the weekend to plan my week, and make sure every day has a menu that's easy to put together for the day and one that's easy to follow.  Preparation is key.  If it's prepped and easy to do, then I'll likely follow it.

Got any tips for me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You could switch to WW Online - it's similar, but is more about the 'real food' thing. But it still has the structure that you might want/need?

I think one thing that will keep you accountable is keeping your goal in mind. Do you have an end goal? Intermediate goals? What are they and why? Keeping those front and center will likely help too.

Lesley said...

Having a plan really is the key, and maybe you've had enough Jenny Craig at this point that planning will feel pretty natural. I do a lot of planning and then cooking-ahead on Sundays to make things I can take for lunch or reheat for dinner. I plan snacks too and make sure I have them with me. If I get too hungry it results in the "crap grab" when I'll just grab anything I can find because my blood sugar is low and I can't think.

Did Jenny put you on 1500? That seems quite low to me.