Monday, July 30, 2012

Road Trip: Bainbridge Island and then some

Finally. Sparky, P-Dot and I got on the road this summer. I had plans for several road trips this summer and sadly things have happened that put some of them on hold.  Still, I decided it was time to just go.  The Pantry Goat suggested breakfast in Bainbridge Island, so I took that as a sign to make a road trip out of it.

Sunday morning, P-Dot and I were up early and at the ferry terminal by 7:30 for the 7:55am ferry to Bainbridge Island. The Pantry Goat showed up shorthly there after and we waited.

P-Dot making herself at home in Sparky.

Sparky patiently waiting.
Once we were on the ferry, drama began. 

Now, if you're not a ferry rider, like myself, it's important to note that there are, apparently, rules. One of the rules is that when you pull onto the ferry you need to stay between the two yellow lines for your lane.  Normally, not a problem. The ferry gives you plenty of room, and in between the three lanes they have about a foot walking lane.  Many cars, I mean many, hug those walking lane lines because, well cars are bigger now.

I wasn't really paying much attention when I pulled onto the ferry and followed the car in front of me into the center lane.  I was fine.  Or so I thought.

In the left lane, a dumbass driver and his BIG A** truck were trying to get past me.  Now, let's remember there's a foot of walk space.  The Pantry Goat got out and stood behind Sparky and told the driver he had plenty of room.  He didn't roll down his window, and mumbled something. Next think we know he put his truck in reverse and plowed into the car immediately behind him. Dumbass.

Finally, with the Pantry Goat's help, the dumbass truck driver pulls forward past Sparky.  We were all a bit dumbfounded as to why he put it in reverse, but whatever dude.

He gets out of his truck and walks to see the damage he caused on the poor Volvo behind him. As he walks past me, he says, "Nice car, but you're a terrible driver!" Of which I responded, "Um I'm not the one who just rear ended a car on the ferry."

I took this photo on the ferry ride back...and it was a little fuzzy...sorry.
Jerk!

We stayed put in Sparky for the ferry ride because I wasn't convinced he wouldn't key my car.
Now I'll admit, I was on/over the line, but the dumbass truck driver had plenty of room.  So many things he could have done differently had he chosen to be a decent human being. Instead he chose to be a jerk and blame me and Sparky for his mistake. Whatever.

We got to the other side 30 minutes later, and proceeded for the entire day to say, "You're a terrible driver." at every opportunity we could. Or "You're a terrible..[insert word here]!"

Breakfast was at a fun, very small diner called Streamliner.  Biscuits and gravy were on the menu and eventually ended up in my belly (and I suppose eventually will end up on my hips.)


The Pantry Goat and I wondered up and down the main drag in BainBridge, nothing overly exciting to see and since it was still early on a Sunday, nothing was open.  The Pantry Goat did happen to see a sign that said there was an Ansel Adams exhibit at the local historical museum.  Knowing I'm a photography buff she suggested it and we walked up to the Bainbridge Island Historical Museum.

The Bainbridge Historical museum looked like an old house just waiting for people to come inside. 

The Welcoming committee - and P-Dot

Bainbridge Island Historical Museum
I wasn't really interested in the history of Bainbridge Island, but I do like Ansel Adams so figured why not.

Once inside the curator of the museum (if you can call him that) explained to us it would be $4 to see the exhibit and then further explained, after we paid, that the exhibit was of the Japanese from Bainbridge who got shipped off to an internment camp during WWII.  And the Ansel Adams part is that one of the Japanese folks, asked Ansel Adams to come photograph what their camp looked like.

While it was interesting, and they were good photos, it wasn't exactly what we thought it was. But it figures since I'm such a terrible driver. = )

Back in Sparky we hit the road. The Pantry Goat was the navigator since she had the map( but she was a terrible navigator). We took the scenic route which led us all over the island, sometimes by accident.  We turned the corner on one of the streets and we saw this.

A rock painted like a duck. Or so we thought.


Turns out this is actually a frog, and apparently is very popular on Bainbridge. TWO drivers from the island passed us and stopped to tell us abut the frog (that's how we learned it was a frog and not a duck). 

From there we drove through Port Ludlow, and missed it.  Didn't realize it was such a small town. Then off to Port Hadlock, and finally stopping in Port Gamble.  Now if you look at a map, our driving wasn't exactly straight and we didn't exactly go the easiest way. But that's part of the fun in a convertible, on a sunny day in Seattle, during a road trip.  Who cares how you get there?

Port Gamble was an adorable little town.  And I say adorable because that was what it felt like. A perfect little town that has been remade to be quaint and full of tourists.

P-Dot checking out the view from Port Gamble. Blue skies make it an even more beautiful place.

We stopped to have lunch here and had the BEST BBQ I've had in a while.

Mike's BBQ - brisket, pulled pork and onion rings. Yum!
Finally deciding we should head home we drove up to take the Kingston Ferry back over. Turns out there was a 2 hour wait there and only a 30 minute wait on the Bainbridge ferry we took over in the morning. So we headed off to drive back to that ferry.

We were sitting at a traffic light and I spyed this little creature, and P-Dot immediately said she wanted a photo with it. So I obliged. 

Once out of Sparky I realized there was a whole "garden" of creatures. So we spent the next 20 minutes taking photos.

P-Dot with the Gnome.

The Pantry Goat taking part in the photo op.

P-Dot getting jiggy with the cleavage.

Mmmm fish!

P-Dot can't read!

P-Dot and Billy Bob. (I have no idea what his name is, he just looked like a Billy Bob to me.

Done taking photos we got back to the Bainbridge ferry dock and had about an hour wait. The sun was high in the sky and we just soaked it in. 

P-Dot sun bathing while we wait for the ferry. Ignore the ferry in the background.  It sat there the entire time we were there, and frankly I had no idea where it was going.


Home sweet home. It was a great day and I'm so glad to have gotten out and seen Bainbridge Island, Port Ludlow (even though we missed it), Port Hadlock, and Port Gamble. Nothing like Seattle on a sunny day.  And go figure, I didn't hit anything or anyone - but I'm such a terrible driver.

0 comments: