Monday, August 13, 2012

Danger: Exhausting Weekend Ahead


Many of you who know me or who read my blog know that I like my weekends to be not so full. I like lounging around the house doing whatever I want whenever I want.  I’m a planner for most things, but when it comes to down time, I like my weekends to be just that.
When I do have an overly booked weekend I get stressed. And stress leads, inevitably, to eating.
This weekend was overly booked – at least for me.
The MomUnit came in Friday evening and it feels like we didn’t stop for a moment all weekend – yet looking back we did.
The MomUnit and I met Blueberry for dinner at Matt’s Oyster Bar. The MomUnit has been, apparently, craving fried oysters. I’m not sure why, cuz they’re gross.  Matt’s is usually has really good food and really good service.  While my halibut was off the charts delicious, Blueberry wasn’t as lucky. Her steak had issues – rubbery and tough, not to mention almost raw – which she’s not a fan of.  Despite that, we had a good time getting caught up with the MomUnit.
Saturday morning the MomUnit and I hopped in Sparky and went to breakfast. We had a list of things we needed to do on Saturday and breakfast was the first one on the list.
The rest of the day we spent walking down memory lane.  Seattle holds a lot of memories for the MomUnit with the DadUnit. This being the first time she’s been back up here since dad passed, made the memories all the more difficult. 
Saturday evening Seattle SIL was hosting a Wine Tasting for the Cure type of fundraiser.  She had three red wines (all donated) and three white wines (also all donated) as well as some viddles for us guests.  The MomUnit and I swung on by and we, with P-Dot, tasted the available wines.  Of the reds, I liked two of the three opting to not be interested in the Merlot.
I'd love to pretend I don't know him...but alas he's BigBro.

P-Dot enjoying the tasting.

P-Dot's favorite of the reds
Sunday the sun was high in the sky again. It was Sunday dinner night and so I had a bunch of things I needed to get done for that.  The MomUnit and I swung by to visit and aunt, ate lunch at the Ranch Drive in, and then got down to getting things ready for a full Sunday dinner.
July Sunday dinner was skipped, so August needed to be extra special.  I made Parma Rosa which is a simple pasta dish Blueberry and I came up with a thousand years ago.  To go along with that, Pioneer Woman’s Olive Cheese bread (OMG…so good and sooo bad for you), a spinach salad (Thanks Seattle SIL for bringing this.) and Scotch-A-Roos (Thanks Queen PopUp for bringing dessert).  We had a couple of Sunday dinner virgins and after a vote of the veterans I think we decided they were invited back.
Seattle SIL, BigBro, ChickenLady, Queen PopUp, the Pantry Goat, Virgin #1 (aka the MomUnit), Virgin #2, Blueberry, Virgin #3, Princess Lori and Chef Jenn

Seattle SIL, BigBro, ChickenLady, Queen PopUp, Virgin #1 (aka the MomUnit), the Pantry Goat, Virgin #2, Blueberry, Virgin #3, Princess Lori and Chef Jenn

That bowl of pasta was mounding over when we started...and there were two plates of bread and a full bowl of salad.

0 comments: