Monday, October 01, 2012

3 Minutes in Paradise

Or was it two minutes?

Or, wait, it was 7. I think.

Y'all remember that necking game you used to play where you and some guy you liked would go into a closet and kiss for a specific number of minutes? You do right? This isn't just a southern California thing.  I think it was called 7 minutes in Paradise.

Note to the MomUnit: Look away. Skip the next couple of paragraphs. The story I'm about to tell has never been disclosed to you.  I don't think you need to hear it now.

I can't really remember, but I think it was 10th grade in which this game took place for me for the first time. I was a late bloomer you see. But I was at a party with some girlfriends, and some boys were there. There happened to be - oh wait - it was 8th grade, now I remember.  Anyhow, it wasn't really a party so much as at some one's house after band practice one day.

Anyhow, the parents of said friend wasn't home (a huge no-no in the rules the parental units set forth. I could get grounded for just typing this) and so several of us band geeks hung out after band practice one day.

One of the boys there, I'll admit I didn't know I had a crush on him until this point, drew my name from a hat and had to spend 7 minutes in paradise in the closet with me.

I was mortified.

I was thrilled.

I was petrified.

I remember vividly the door closing and the closet being 1) small and 2) stinky.  Said boy asked if he could kiss me. I don't remember actually say yes, but I do remember the kiss. Sloppy and a bit gross.

Yes, my first real kiss.  How come we can't forget these things? Why can't I remember my first REAL good kiss?

Anyhow, the point to this story is I jogged for 3 minutes straight today. Twice!

Upon finishing the second 3 minutes, and realizing I wasn't actually dead, or dying from the 3 minutes, the memory of 7 minutes in  paradise came to mind, only I changed it to 3 minutes in paradise.

I should mention, that jogging for 3 minutes isn't really paradise. Its hard. But I did it. At this rate, I'll be jogging, and finishing a 5 K by Friday.

No seriously. I'm jogging in and will finish a 5K on Friday. The Hotel Californiasoft Giving Campaign 5 K.  I won't, mind you, be jogging the entire time. But I will at least be jogging for 6, maybe 9 of the minutes. There is, after all, a beer garden waiting for me at the end. That should entice me to jog more.

0 comments: