Friday, October 05, 2012

And we're off....almost


P-Dot's packed and ready. By this time tomorrow I'll be Eastern bound on a flight to JFK to start my two week vacation adventure.  Meeting up with the MomUnit, St. Louis SIL, and a new friend who yet to have a nickname. She's from Sacramento so maybe Lady Sacramento? Or Miss Sacramento? or Hey You? Or Bob?  I'll find something I'm sure after spending 14 days with her and the rest of the gal group.


Today is the day. Today I attempt my first 5K.  See on that photo where it says "run/walk"? That's what I intend do to.

The Shrinking Butt Brigade (SBB) will be starting in the 12 minute mile + heat and will be doing one round of Week 3 / Day 3 of the Couch to 5K program.  This week we moved up significantly, I think. This week we are warming up for 5 minutes, then doing two intervals of run for 90 seconds / walk for 90 seconds then run for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes. 

Say what? Run for 3 minutes?  Me?

Needless to say, I did not think I could do that. So Monday when I strapped on the new sneakers and headed out to attempt this, my self talk was fairly negative.  There was no way I could possibly jog for 3 minutes straight. I just knew I'd end up stopping after 2 minutes - which was my record.

But something weird happened.  Somewhere between my house and the trail I forgot I couldn't do it.  The program said run so I ran.  Granted I'm not breaking any land/speed records, but it's not about the time for me. It's about the fact that I'm doing it. 

So I did it. 

Then I did it again on Wednesday with the SBB.

And today we'll do it again and this time maybe even a little more.  Brian Carter Cellars will be at the finish line, as will Two Beers Brewery. If those two things aren't enough to get me motivated to finish nothing will.

So here's the plan. We'll do our Day 3 of Week 3 program first. That will get us about 2 miles into the 5K.  At that point, I figured we can just do the jog 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes to the finish line. I will jog over the finish line.  I will. And then I'll collapse. AFTER I have my beer or wine in hand.

0 comments: