Monday, October 08, 2012

NYC 1.1

Day two of the NYC adventure.  This city fascinates me. Constantly moving, and shaking, and getting in your face. 

Let's get y'all caught up on the last couple of days.

Sunday we rose bright and not so early to start our day. The MomUnit and. SL SIL were heading to spend some time with the Nephew and his lovely girlfriend.  Meanwhile, Miss Sacramento (new nickname pending enough wine for some story that will bring forth a real nickname) and I waited for our one of our blog friends to come meet us.  The Patron Saint of the Smart Mouth's lives in nearby (relatively) NJ.  She was nice enough to hop on a train or two to come into the city to meet us. 

The most amazing thing about the Patron Saint, besides her being just amazing, is she was EXACTLY like her blog.  You know how some people are sorta not like their blog? Patron Saint was exactly as Miss Sacramento and I thought she'd be. Funny, delightful, and darn quick with the comments.
Sorry for the poorly focused photo. Clearly the waiter didn't understand when I said, hold down the button half way to focus.
Funny story, we were walking towards the World Trade area and this random street vendor came up and was trying to sell us these books on the 9/11.  I was trying to be all Seattly polite and tell him no thanks, when Patron Saint, in her best NJ accent, blurted, "Get lost!" The guy just walked away and wasn't even phased.

Moving on.

Miss Sacramento and I then hopped in a cab and made our way to the Chelsea Market.  Wonderful place. Much like the Pike Place, but a lot more upscale.  We wondered around there and I snapped some photos.  We waited in what felt like the longest line ever for the bathroom.



We stopped and had a couple of Stellas along the way.



Side note, the bathrooms here are interesting. With just a couple exceptions, almost every place we've gone they've had unisex bathrooms.  At first I was all grossed out about the idea of sharing bathrooms with boys, but realized women are just as gross. 

Anyhow, where was I? Or right, Chelsea market. After we wandered through the market, we hopped in another cab (we haven't even ventured to take the sub way yet) to meet the MomUnit, SL SIL, the Nephew and the GF at a bar.  Gee shocking a bar.

Today we got up and out to get to the 9/11 Memorial. Can I just say...WOW!  So beautiful and so somber. It is a beautiful way to remember the fallen.







After that we went to Katz Deli. Katz Deli is famous for the When Harry Met Sally scene in which Sally has an orgasm.  The deli was PACKED.  And looks nothing like it did in the movie. I suspect they had to move the booths out to get in more tables. 

We met my long time friend Claudia from my TASIS days at the deli. She and I spent the afternoon together getting caught up and going up the Empire State Building.





Phew...I'm tired just typing it. According to my FitBit I went 16,000+ steps yesterday and 14,000+ today.  Needless to say I'm getting my exercise.

Tomorrow we're hopping on the hop on / hop off bus to really see the city.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I may live in Jersey, but that accent is all New York, baby!

It really was so great to meet you! I'm glad you're having fun in the big city!

Unknown said...

Love the photos!! Living vicariously through you since I can't even drive myself anywhere right now (pain meds + surgery stuff). Sigh.