Monday, January 13, 2014

Sunday Dinner for January

Sunday dinner this month came up too quickly for me. It seems like we just had a Sunday dinner and BAM there it is again. I'm not complaining, quite the contrary, it makes me happy to see all these people whom I love so frequently.

Okay, I'm going to talk about the elephant in the middle of the room. Sunday dinner just isn't the same without BigBro.  The December Sunday dinner I was able to delude myself that he was just not there. Like he was traveling, or hunting, or doing something ... this Sunday dinner it felt all to real.

I felt off yesterday. Like nothing seemed to be snapping correctly. I still think I pulled off a great meal and good times.  It just felt wrong.  I miss that damn guy so much.

I think the Sunday dinner stuff was triggered by pulling together all the photos for the photo show for his Celebration of Life. I should have taken a break while scanning the hundreds and hundreds of photos. Instead I pushed through and realized when I was done that I was numb with sadness. I think Sunday dinner was a causality of that.

That aside, I think everyone had a fantastic time. I made a 7-bone pot roast - even though I followed a recipe for a brisket. You gotta try this recipe by the way.


The cooking started at / around 1:30 and it didn't take long for the house to smell so delicious.  Someday technology is going to allow us to collect smells and share them on the blog.  Wait? I wonder if that's a good idea...never mind. Use your imagination.


That's a lot of beef. I had to call the MomUnit to find out if a 5lb 7-bone would feed 10 people. She suggested cooking them both and using the leftovers in tacos. Um, great idea ... I think I might. I sent some leftovers home with a couple of guests. I have enough for me and maybe some for the Pantry Goat.


So, the table looks bare to me, but the food that's on there was delicious!  We had a BBQ chicken salad, minus the chicken.  Another deli type salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies and bread. 

We had a good time last night.  Lucy got a little annoyed because Zoe the Dog was here. In fact, she got so annoyed she lashed out and drew blood from Zoe. Poor Zoe .. she's such a sweet dog and all she did was look more pathetic. She got a couple of good treats for her pain though. Lucy got a tongue lashing that she ignored.


Then there's the gang.  The amusing thing about this photo is Mr. Hotlanta is almost a ghost in this photo.  He at the last minute decided to put the bag over Blueberry. Hilarious if you ask me...

The job hunt continues. I had another good phone interview today and will be brought in for an in person interview later this week. As for the outcome of the interview last week...well we are in the "wait and see" phase. I'm feeling ok about both and am just letting whatever is going to happen just happen.

0 comments: