Monday, March 17, 2014

New School Jitters

On the eve of starting a new job (we hope - I'm still not 100% sure I'm starting tomorrow), I'm struck with some thoughts. The warm sun, for now, is blaring through the window heating my insides.  The TV is yammering on about some crime being committed and how the CSI folks are going to solve it. I've seen this one before, so it allows my mind to wander.

I find myself in third grade starting a new school again. Specifically it's Sacajawea Elementary in Great Falls Montana. I went to 4 different schools in 3rd grade. This one, for whatever reason, stands out the most. It could be because the MomUnit had separated from the original father and we were living in a small apartment that barely had room for the three of us. I can't tell you the name of the teacher, or the name of any kids in my class. I can, though, vividly remember learning cursive there. Or practicing writing - okay maybe not so vividly.

Each time I started a new school I would revert to a personality that had served me well in previous new school situations. I was an outgoing, happy, go-lucky little girl - just shy enough to add some mystery to who I was and why I was a new student. I didn't, of course, realize what I was doing at the time. It's only been years later in thinking about how I started each new school that I realized it was, in essence, a defense mechanism to keep myself - mentally - safe.

As the years passed, I found myself the new student several more times. In fact, I went to 12 different schools during my educational years.  I never really begrudged that lifestyle. I think moving so much helped me be the person I am today. That being said, there's a certain amount of anxiety that rears its ugly head before a new school or new job.

The thoughts that run through my mind are likely not that unfamiliar or that different from most folks. I don't assume I'm that unique. I think it's inherently common to be "oh no I'm the new kid on the block coming into a situation where relationships have already been built." ACK…

What will the new job be like?
Will my new office mate like me?
Will the  new team like me?
Can I do this job?
Oh, god, what have I done?

I know there's a "process" I go through when starting a new job (or going to a new school in the old days). I've never really documented it or put it out there verbally, but I decided it's time to put these thoughts to paper. Or out on the Interwebs.

First thing I do is try to decide what type of reputation do I want to have. It doesn't seem like you need to think about that, and generally speaking the reputation I want to have is consistent with my personality type. A person with integrity. A person who communicates well. A person you'd want to have by your side in a crisis (though admittedly I can become a drama queen when there's a crisis.)

When I think about this reputation, I naturally shift to what skills am I going to need the most in this role? What skills will I need to sharpen? Where are my gaps? I don't normally write this out, but it's part of the learning of a new job I think. It becomes part and parcel of inserting yourself into a new role, a new team, and with a new boss.

From there I generally start to build my stakeholder map. It's very PM of me to do this.  I need to know who the key players are, how they affect me and my job, why I should care about them, etc. When I start any new project, part of my project plan is determining who the key stakeholders are. I build a RACI (basically a responsibility chart) for the most part.  In a new job, it's no different. A new job is essentially a new project, right?

Once I've gathered that intell I begin to put the pieces together of what this job is I'm doing. What are my tasks? What are the schedules? What are the key pieces I need to deliver in the first 90 days and hit them out of the ball park?  This I document, and review on a regular basis.  In any new job, but especially at Hotel Californiasoft, things change quickly in a new role.  It's imperative you keep yourself in the know of those changes. If you don't, you'll fail.

So now I have my stakeholder list and the key tasks with schedules documented. Now becomes the getting to know the key stakeholders. Setting up time to meet with them to not only introduce myself and provide them with details as to what I'm doing, but to get a handle on who they are and what makes them tick. Learning about other people's personalities really help in the long run when you need to get them to work for you or do things for you. You'll approach a developer differently than you'd approach a director for example.

One of the main people I interview and get to know is the new boss. Presumably I've had some meetings with him/her about the job, and this person (we'll use the pronoun him for the purposes of this new role since the new boss is a guy) will have helped me build the stakeholder map and task list. But what's vitally important to my success is learning my bosses work style.  I learn how to manage my manager and in that I learn how to best work with my manager.  It's imperative to have a conversation with my new boss about how he wants me to communicate with him. Does he want daily meetings for the first month? Does he want status reports? How does he prefer I communicate questions? Ask all these questions and then stick to how he prefers to work with you.

And so once the first day is over, and I find myself at home and my mind is swimming. It's almost guaranteed I'll dream about work and convince myself that I don't belong in this work. I know well enough to stop, breath and realize it's all part of the new job process.

Then that day will come when you feel like you've finally put all the pieces together and think you can actually succeed in this role. That's the sweet spot to me. That's where I want to be and quickly. 

I do find I approach a new job as if I have a clean slate. I mean, after all, everything I've done up to this point has prepared me for this job, right? All my past job experiences, successes and failures, will only help in this  new role. I cannot wait to start fresh and utilize my skills and knowledge to be successful.  

And much like starting a new school my stomach will twist and turn, my thoughts will be relatively scattered, and I will put on the positive, happy face and step into the unknown.  Stay tuned to see how this chapter turns out.

0 comments: