Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Me Gusta Mucho Barcelona!

Oh Barcelona! Where have you been all my life? This cosmopolitan metropolis has found itself ranked numero uno in my book. I can’t even begin to explain why, other than the city almost felt like it was alive. Its people the heartbeat, its churches are the soul, and its food…OMG…the food.

Barcelona is Spain’s second largest city (Madrid being the largest) and is the capital of their region Catalunya. I discovered that both Spanish and Catalan are spoken here when I attempted to understand the words on street signs and maps. I was out of my league for sure. But the tour guide pointed out that they are Catalonians first, Spaniard’s second.

Barcelona had a lot more history than I thought. Columbus was from here, the Roman’s were here and the gothic medieval period played a significant role here. Antonio Gaudi and Pablo Picasso walked the streets here and left their mark all over the city.

We started the day, again, super early.  Next time I cruise I’m going to check all the start times for the excursions. I’m tired of getting up at 6:30 on vacation. Our tour today was called the Best of Barcelona, and it was exactly that. We had a fantastic tour guide, Carmen, who not only knew a lot of history, but had a sense of humor and kept track of all us chickens.

Our first stop was the Antonio Gaudi’s masterpiece La Sagrada Familia church. Oh…My…God. I’ve never in all my life seen anything like it. At first glance, you’re kinda taken back. Not sure what to think. I likened it to looking upon the face of the elephant man. At first you’re a little repulsed, then you’re curious, then you realize it’s a face of someone who needs a little love.  The façade of this church is a little like that to me. There is so much going on on the outside of the church that you find yourself a bit overwhelmed.  
 

We entered the church on what’s called the nativity side – the walls show the birth of Jesus…in a way only Gaudi could. There were lizards as gargoyles, turtles holding up enormous columns, and birds everywhere. Without a photo it’s hard to even explain what this church is like. It was stunning on the outside, but once we entered … I had no words.  

The inside was designed by Gaudi to depict a forest.  The stain glass windows throughout the church cast a beautiful, multi-colored glow onto the columns that are the “trees” – its magical inside. I had to sit for a moment and take it all in. I found myself wanting to snap every possible photo I could, but there was just too much to witness. I sat and just felt the church (I’m turning into my middle brother apparently).  Then I slowly walked around and found some magnificent corners of this church to shoot.  

From the church, I was sure there wasn’t anything that could top that, but then we found ourselves in the Gothic Quarter.  This maze of alley ways and very small streets was a throwback to mid-evil times. Our tour guide stopped us first at the Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter – I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even get the name of it. All our group (Mom, Suzi, Jack, Mike & Bev) were hungry and wanted lunch instead of finishing the walking tour of the Gothic Quarter. The Gothic Quarter was one of the MANY reasons I wanted to see Barcelona! I left them and trudged on (BTW I had over 14,000 steps today…my feet are tired).  

Carmen gave us so much history of the quarter that I couldn’t retain any of it. We saw old Roman columns that were preserved in a building, we walked through alley ways that, no lie, were maybe 3 feet across (if I eat any more I won’t fit down these alley ways). She showed us an old church that was bombed ruing the Spanish civil war in which they left the shell marks on the church so they’ll never forget what they fought for. She showed us where the old roman chariots used to come down the alleys and turn the corner too wide and take bits out of buildings. All of it was just amazing. But my favorite were the bridges in the quarter. I didn’t get 100% why, but they ultimately built bridges that would go from building to building. Gothic walk ways if you will.  It had something to do with all the muck and unpleasant things in the street but I don’t remember what exactly.   

I eventually caught up with the rest of the group who were just finishing their lunch. I had a couple of bites of Mom’s paella, and a Fanta (BTW I’m addicted to FANTA here for some reason. That cold orange drink when it’s been so hot has hit the spot. I know I’ll want Fanta back in the states and it won’t taste nearly as good…it never does). Then I left them again, and went about my way trying to do some real photography. 

I stopped in a gift shop and bought myself a gift, a pin for Blueberry, and some post cards. Then on the way out I noticed this little sandwich shop that had ham and cheese on a baguette. Yes! I finally got my ham and cheese sandwich. I was proud of myself for ordering in Spanish only to find out when he responded I had no idea what he was talking about…and he realized I had no idea and switched back to English.

Stepping out of the shop I looked up and spied a Starbucks. Yes, I admit it, I went in. I knew Mike and Bev would be in there, so I had to go check it out. Sure enough, they were there. We spent a few minutes there and then walked back to where we were meeting our bus.

The second half of the tour was to visit this re-created Spanish village. Essentially a tourist trap, but an interesting one. Inside this village they had all the areas of Spain represented. For example, Catalan – which is where we are now – has a different style of houses, different foods, etc than they do in Aragon. So each “section” was a representation of the living environment, and shops of what they are known for. Mom and I bought some balsamic vinegar that is like syrup and some olive oil. Then I broke down and bought some saffron. I couldn’t resist.

Then it was back on the boat. We’re exhausted and if I didn’t have the excursion ticket I wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what country we’re in. It’s all worth it though, I can sleep when I’m home.

Tomorrow we’re in Valencia. I see more paella in my future.  Oh, and I am still on target with my gelato a day goal.  The Spanish village had some gelato – it wasn’t nearly as good as Italy’s but it was still gelato.

0 comments: