Monday, April 21, 2014

Palermo, Sicily

Greetings from Palermo, Sicily. Home of the mafia and the Godfather. Ok, so I’m not 100% sure about the mafia, but it sounds about right. I found myself saying, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." all day.

I heart this city. It’s dirty, and grimy, and graffiti everywhere, but there was something about it that just felt very Italian. Of course the MASSIVE scoop of gelato I had today might have something to do with it.  

We took another excursion today. The bulk of it was driving around Palermo in which our guide spouted of some amazing history. I wish she would have gone more into WWII history, but I get the feeling they aren’t as interested in it as I am.  

Our first stop this morning was at the Cappucini Catacombs. I had done some research on the catacombs prior to leaving so I knew what to expect. It was one of the stops on this cruise I was most excited and interested in – especially photography wise. Turned out we couldn’t take photos. In fact, there was no way I could even sneak a photo because it was so quite down there.  

Anyhow, the Cappucini friars started this back in the 1700’s some time. Where the wealthiest were embalmed – ish and then put out for display for lack of a better way to explain it. Buried in the best clothing, and really well persevered. It was morbidly fascinating.  I’ll tell you more about it when I post the postcards I had to buy instead of photos. It really was quite interesting. Mom wasn’t thrilled to be down there – but Bev and I found it just fascinating. I kept saying to her, “I see dead people.” She just rolled her eyes at me and kept walking on. 

After that we stopped at two Oratorios. I’m not really sure how to explain them other than they aren’t churches and men who were artists, or men of influence during the time gathered to discuss things. I’m dying to get home and look up what it really is all about, but suffice it to say, our tour guide eluded to “families” meeting here…as in you can’t come in unless your father before you was a member. Almost mafia like.  

The first one we visited was the Oratorio of Santa Cita.  I forget the artist’s name, but Oh…My…goodness. He depicted the rosary prayers in these beautiful stucco (yes stucco) carvings. It was all white with a few little accents of gold every now and then. The artist had these little frames, if you will, in which he showed a story of the rosary. For example, one frame showed the crucifixion of Christ and another showed the ascension. There were twelve in total I think. He also included some historical depictions too. There was a battle at one point where the Catholic Church was fighting the Moor’s and the artist had a frame showing the battle. Really fascinating, and beautiful work. 

From there we walked to a second Oratorio – whose name I completely forget. It was more subdued. A bit darker inside, more paintings and less stucco carvings. It was beautiful in its own way, but not, in my opinion, as beautiful as the other. 

We finished our walking tour in a little piazza where we were given some free time to have a cappuccino or something to eat. We planted ourselves at a table at a café and ordered cappuccinos all around. I spotted the gelato stand and decided it was time for a gelato. I asked for one scoop of some flavor that looked good (it had chocolate and amaretto in it I later found out) in a cup/cone thingy they had. The scoop, turned out, was as big as my head.  But man, that gelato was so darn good. I am sure I’m going to dream about it tonight. Either that or the dead people I saw in the catacombs. 

Tomorrow is our last day on the cruise. We hit Naples tomorrow. My excursion will be Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. I’m sooooo excited to go to Pompeii. Bev, Mike and I are the only three going on this excursion and I think we’re all equally excited about it. 

0 comments: