Sunday, July 27, 2014

Misty Water Colored Memories....

I think I'm having a  mid-life crisis. I mean, how does one know? All I know if I've been feeling quite nostalgic these days and have spent a huge amount of time looking back and remembering.

Weird things flood my mind, and a memory will pop in. Most make me smile, some don't. Some I wonder if it's a memory at all, or did my mind make it up.

Today was one of those days where a simple thing like getting lunch made me stop and smile at some memories.

Today's lunch was at Kidd Valley Burgers.  Not overly interesting really. But when you know I worked there for two, or three summers during college, suddenly it's a lot more interesting to me. 

I started working there the summer of 1988. I hadn't worked fast food ever and it was a popular restaurant. I figured it would give me the training I'd need to someday, maybe, work in another fast food place. It helped that I really liked their burgers AND they were the first ones to call me back for an interview from the masses of applications I had filled out that summer.


The MomUnit and DadUnit were quite supportive, if not demanding that I get a job. While they paid for my college tuition and board, I had to pay for books and any other costs I incurred in college - like beer and pizza.

I started at Kidd Valley making shakes. They made real shakes. Soft serve ice cream and a plethora of flavors from fresh strawberries to peanut butter and chocolate. 


From there I moved up to cashier, to fries, to grill master (well that's what I called myself. ) and life was pretty good.

I made a good friend back in those days.  We'll call him Paula. Paula and I hit it off pretty quickly. We are still friends to this day. And we had some good times at Kidd Valley.

One night in particular, one slow night, we had - ahem - a food fight.  It ended with Paula covered in special sauce from head to toe. I simply flicked the spatula and voila - a line of special sauce.

Ahhh good times.

0 comments: