Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Hallmark Day!

At least that's what it is to me. I've never really been a fan of Valentine's Day. It stems from painful childhood memories of not getting valentines, to being a dating adult and not having that "valentine" person, or having a "valentine" person who was lame. But either way, its really a holiday that's promoted by the card companies. And is designed to set me up for a miserable few days. I mean really guys, if you screw up valentine's day...your month of February is probably shot.

Its not a very fair holiday. I know several men who are scared silly because they are sure that what they "choose" to do for the significant other on valentine's day, won't be exactly right. And what if she gets mad? Of course, I also know the women who promote this fear in men. Come on...you know the type of women I'm talking about. The type that give ALL women a bad name. They are high maintenance women who REQUIRE just the right amount of romance and giving on holidays like valentine's day or birthdays etc. Instead of just adoring whom ever they are with, they make it a game.

I think men are really in a no-win situation here. You're going to be damned if you do and VERY likely damned if you don't. So do, but do so with caution. A few notes of wisdom about valentine's day gifts.

1. Stuffed animals are a no no. We're adults.
2. jewelry is generally good. Though you do run the risk of getting something "too small" or not right. Be sure to get a gift receipt if she wants to exchange it.
3. Lingerie - its really not for us women right? Its really for the man. Which may come across as selfish. And besides, why spend all that $$ on something that isn't worn, presumably, too long?
4. Candy - This one is dangerous too. I don't know very many women who aren't watching their figure...
5. Dinner out is good. A well planned, well thought out evening of dining and relaxation is good. Especially for the mom's of the world. Leave the kids at home. Treat her to a special evening.
6. Muscle Cars, stereo equipment (unless its an iPod), appliances of any kind, probably not a good thing. Basically anything that can be construed as something YOU want instead of something she wants, probably not a good thing. And anything that means she'll have to use it to clean, also not a good thing.

So as I said before, guys, you're really in a tight spot. May the force be with you.

PS - Star wars movies, probably not a good thing. Taking her to see a chick flick may win you points.

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Well, now that Vicky got her "Hallmark Day" present, I guess I can announce that I'm an ass. Yep, I got her the #1 gift you're not supposed to get: a Vermont Teddy Bear. Oooooh! (Good thing she like it!)

Vicky said...

I absolutely LOVE it. I've heard about Vermont Teddy Bears and they are hand made in Vermont and come in different "characters". Mine is a Love Me Tender Bear...you guessed it...inspired by Elvis. It goes back to one of the songs that I had to have at our wedding...Fools Rush In...which is one of our songs. So I would argue against #1 so long as it isn't your typical stuffed animal.

Jenn from WA said...

My #1 was met entirely for the typcial scrawning annoying stuffed animal. You know the types. = ) Wow...a Vermont Bear though, that's very cool.