Friday, February 24, 2006

The Nature of Freedom

As part of my continued Project Management learning (or should I say obsession), I've been reading the Daily Drucker. The Daily Drucker is a 365 days of insights and motivations for getting the right things done. Written by Peter F. Drucker who is a leader in the Management and leadership arena.

Feb 13th excerpt (don't ask why its the 27th and I'm reading the 13th...I'm not so "daily" about it.)

"Freedom is not fun. It is not the same as individual happiness, not is it security or peace or progress. It is a responsible choice. Freedom is not so much a right as a duty. Real freedom is not freedom from something; that would be license. It is freedom to choose between doing or not doing something, to act one way or another, to hold one believe or the opposite. It is not "fun" but the heaviest burden laid on man: to decide his own individual conduct as well as the conduct of society and to be responsible for both decisions. "

1 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

An old philosophy instructor once explained it to me this way: Most people think of freedom in the context of "freedom from", which gives them a good feeling about it. But they almost always forget the context of "freedom to".

My $.02.