Friday, February 24, 2006

How I ended up on a bar room floor. By Jenn Wraspir

Its true, I spent about a millisecond on the floor of the Tractor Tavern last night.As many of you know, I go see the Dudley Manlove Quartet as often as my heart can manage. Well, DMQ has an alter ego band called the Sh*tKickers. The Sh*tKickers perform music with a country flavor to it. I won't say they do just country, because they did some Tom Petty and some REO last night. Now granted they added the country twang to it...but still. Ever heard "Take it on the run", by REO with a country slant...scary really.

Anyhow, myself, my friend Shannon and a few other random folks from my Catalysis days all went to see the Sh*tKickers. Holy Moly did I have fun. These two guys who joined us, Jibran and Michael (and a couple of Michael friends), were by far some of most fun people to hang out with and party. Aside from them being full on partiers...which means they're young and can still drink and get to work the next day, they just seem so real and so down to earth.

Before I get to how I ended up on the floor, let me first say, I got to spend quality time with none other than Craig Corbin from the DMQ. He's also the guitar player in the Sh*tKickers. (So the only difference between DMQ and the Sh*tKickers is the saxiphonist and keyboard player do not play in the Sh*tKickers. In fact, the Sh*tKickers are actually a quartet...which means, should they be called the Dudley Manlove QUARTET? Its all so confusing.)

As Shan and I were waiting for the doors to open, this guy in a cowboy hat comes up. I, being the DMQ fan that I am, recognize him immediately as Craig Corbin. Shan, hadn't a clue who he was and said the doors weren't open yet. I piped up that he was with the band so they'll let him in. As it turned out they let us all in. Shan and I sat at a table with our pitcher of Stella and began chitter chatting like two school girls at lunch break.

Craig walked over and said that well he was a man without a band. Shan and I had actually seen the other members earlier that night and pointed Craig in the direction they had gone. Instead, Craig sat and chit chatted with us for about 15 minutes. It was great to meet another band member and see just how human they are. We found out about their day jobs (Paul Jensen is in IT), what Craig likes and doesn't like (which is nothing) about the band, we talked about the new keyboard player they brought in a year or so ago and how he fit in with the guys (see the guys have known each other for years and they were concerned how an outsider would fit in. As it turned out they got super lucky with a guy who fit in all too well). It was great. I was in 7th heaven and secretly hoping the other guys would come in and come over to talk with us. But alas, I had to admire Paul from afar. (I'm still thanking GOD Shannon didn't tell Craig I was in love with the lead singer Paul Jensen). Though Jibran later than night yelled, "I love you Paul." at the top of his lungs.

So how did I end up on the floor? Jibran, being a musician himself, thought the Sh*tKickers were a riot. He knows NO country songs and so kept wondering around the dance floor "pretending" to do the two step with his hands on his pretend mega belt buckle. At one point, he decided that I needed to dance with him. So round and round we went. He had some "routine" that appeared to be safe, so I bought into him leading and me "following" - which anyone who knows me surely knows I am not a good follower...I'm a leader. But somehow, in the spinning, I zigged when I should have zagged, my shoes slipped on the floor and down I went. But I hopped up with spirit and said with zeal, "I'm okay!" Poor Jibran he felt kinda bad...but the truth was I may have stayed standing had my shoes not slipped. Either way, it makes for a great story.

And now here I am today, coffee in hand, eye lids that are so heavy I may need toothpicks to hold them up (I got home at O dark thirty and had to be AT work for a 7AM con call...) And in case anyone's wonder, I am apparently a cheap date (you'd think I'd have more dates...)...three beers all night and my head is POUNDING.... could be the loud music and fall to the concrete floor...but I'm blaming the beer.

By far one of the most fun and funnest evenings I've had in a long time...And on a school night. Shhhh! Don't tell my mom.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

You are going to have to stop seeing DMQ. That is all there is to it! You seem to wind up on the floor way too many times when you go see them. At least when you did your recent acrobatic act, you didn't have beer in had and didn't do your fall right in front of the band...or did you???? YOu have a strange way of getting attention. And, maybe for good measure, stay away from the Tractor Tavern...isn't that where you did your last acrobatics?
Mom
PS...I know.......