Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet

I haven't been sleeping well. Actually, that's not correct. I haven't been able to sleep for the amount of time I've been used to. And thus feel like I haven't been sleeping well.

The ParentalUnits are here. Dad gets up way earlier than a normal person who's unemployed should. And let's just say he's not a quiet type. In our family we used to joke about my grandfather who was a farmer and thus would get up before God. The guest bedroom was off the kitchen in this old farm house. Anyone staying in the guest bedroom would hear anything and everything going on in the kitchen.

Grandpa was always the one who made breakfast. It was his job. He'd boil eggs, fry up bacon or sausage or make pancakes that would stick to your ribs for all eternity.

The joke, however, was that any pan grandpa wanted, appeared to ALWAYS be on the bottom of the stack. He'd rattle and shake, and sometimes drop pans all morning. And no one, not even the dead, could sleep through grandpa preparing to make breakfast.

His son, my dad, isn't that different it turns out. Just the easy task of making toast and getting a cup of coffee sounds like three 4 year olds down there turning the kitchen inside out. And since I'm in the guest "cove" (not quite a room as it has no door) and the kitchen echos like there's no tomorrow, I've been getting up with dad.

Yesterday morning I was up with him because I heard him getting pots out of the cabinet. I was sure he was going to boil eggs because that's really the only cooking he does these days. I knew from the night before Blueberry had scrubbed the stove (we made pancit and we made a mess). All I could imagine is dad thinking he had turned on the burner and hadn't and gas would be leaking into the house. So I got up to investigate.

It's tricky to investigate without making it look like you don't trust that he's doing something correctly. He's, I'm sure, aware that I'm checking in on him. With the Alzheimer's, I never really know what he understands or doesn't understand. There are times he's sharp as a tack and other times I just don't know who he is. Its frightening and sad to me and this is the life my mom lives every day. Ugh!

Anyhow, back to sleep deprivation. I haven't been getting my solid 9 hours and this morning I was determined! Only the earth started moving at 5:21am. The Northwest had a "earthquake" this morning of 3.4 - which is close to nothing and most California's would assume that's a large truck driving by. Still at 5:22am I felt it and was wide awake....BEFORE Dad. Thank heavens I can nap through the day.

In other news, the job search continues. It's been a month today! Hard to believe I've been out of a job for a month. Thankfully unemployment has been approved so that will help take some of the financial pressure off. I swear to you all here and now, when I find the job that will fulfill me and start making money again, I will save 3 months salary (and have it somewhere I can actually get to it without a penalty)!

The son of the Queen of PopUps got married this past weekend. Probably the quickest ceremony I've ever experienced. It was, no lie, less than 5 minutes. The Groom stated to me they wanted 5 minutes of ceremony and 5 hours of party! I like the way he thinks.

All the lifelong family friend's were there too. It was nice to get caught up on everyone. With TheGroom getting married, I'm now the last single son/daughter in this crowd (at least of the sons and daughters who spent any time with this crowd over the years). That is a sad thought to me. I'll work on the single-ness after I work on the job-less in Seattle situation.

The other cool thing about this wedding was the meal. BBQ! Are you kidding me? That is totally awesome! BBQ! I'm so doing that when I get married. The had bibs on all the tables and of course we had to put them on.

The MomUnit, me and Seattle SIL getting ready to dig in.


BigBro had a little more trouble getting ready to dig in! But we love him anyhow!

0 comments: