Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

I have a phone interview today! I love interviewing. Wanna know why? When else do you get to talk to someone seemingly interested in your professional career? Almost never!

Interviewing is an opportunity. It's a chance for me to show someone who doesn't know me at all just what makes Jenn - well, Jenn. What experiences have brought me to their doorstep? What jobs have taught me the way to manage projects successfully? What people have influenced me into who I am today?

In preparing for the phone interview, I, of course, read the job description a million times. I've jotted down a few questions. And me being me, I have prioritized which questions I really want to ask. Some can wait if the interview was successful and I progress. And that got me thinking.

I started thinking how people blow job interviews. I've interviewed a ton of people in my time, and frankly, love it. I should have gone into HR I think. Still I'm amazed what people will tell you in an interview.

Here are a few rules I've put together for myself about interviewing:

Dazzle them, but professionally.
For me the interview is the first impression. It's my one chance to dazzle the interviewer with just how articulate and professional and PM worthy I am. I need to be able to demonstrate what skills I have by examples. Examples people! You can tell someone you know how to manage a successful project, but until you can give an example of a project you managed successfully and WHY it was successful, your words are useless.

Prepare.
I wonder how many people I've asked if they checked out our company's website said No they hadn't. Really? You didn't even bother to take the time to check out the website? That's lazy. I don't think interviewers expect the candidate to know everything there is to know about a company, but at least an overview of understanding what the company does is going to help you.

Honesty.
I'm shocked at how many times someone has told me something they've accomplished in an interview, then couldn't back it up. Being dishonest on your resume and then in an interview is a solid tell of your character. Let's face it, we all want to be better than we are. And that's a good thing. But there's no reason lying about what you've done. As they say somewhere, "The proof is in the pudding." Eventually you'll have to put the money where your mouth was. Honesty is always the way to go. If an interview asks you about "have you ever..." and you haven't. Just explain you haven't, but that you're a quick study and would love a chance to learn more about that. (unless of course you're not a quick study and you can't stand whatever the topic is).

Be genuine.
People can tell when you're not being genuine. If someone tells you part of the job will be to eat a bell pepper every day. And say, hypothetically you hate bell peppers, don't pretend to like bell peppers. Don't pretend. Being who you are will get you farther than pretending to be a bell pepper loving PM. I'm just sayin'.

Be succinct.
For god's sake, don't go into too much detail. You have to go into enough to explain, but the interviewer doesn't need to know every step you took. This of course depends on the question you've been asked. If they've asked you to review your job history, do so succinctly and perhaps adding in tidbits of things you've done that directly relate to the job description. If they ask you for a step by step review of how you set up and manage a project. Then by all means, go step by step. I think you get what I'm saying.

And lastly, interview them.
By all means, ask questions. Especially if you're interviewing with the person who will be your boss. You have to know that you're as compatible with this boss as he/she has to with you. Ask about their managerial style. Ask about team challenges from their perspective, etc. However, be sure you ask relevant questions. For example, your first interview you probably shouldn't ask about vacation benefits. Or whether the employees get free massages every day.

I guess and last lastly, have fun. Don't freak out about an interview. Go in having all the confidence in the world that you can do the job. Sure, you will have to ramp up, but most people do. But know you're background and know what your strengths and weaknesses are. Be prepared to discuss them. But enjoy yourself.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go prepare more for my phone interview.

0 comments: