Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Zero

I cannot believe it's upon us, yet here I am the day before remembering the years past. I cry a little.  I smile a lot. And my heart grows ten times...

I speak of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3Day of course.  It starts tomorrow. TOMORROW. Where has the time gone?  Last thing I remember I was offering to make cookies for fund raising.  Which I did, and I made a nice little sum for SGK too. Thank you everyone who donated! And ate my cookies! And who complimented the cookies appropriately...even when some of the white chocolate was less than perfect! They still tasted good didn't they?


And who could forget the crazy, and successful, fund raising BigBro did this year.  Two years ago when I walked in the 3Day the idea was planted in our minds....and as all good bad fund raisers we did nothing. Until this year when BigBro decided to give it a try.  Thousands of dollars has been raised by BigBro standing and "panhandling" for the cure.  He's had comments tossed his way with money...and he was even flashed!  Still, it was an extremely successful fund raising...and he even talked my Seattle SIL into joining his insanity.


And so here we are. Our monies raised, our pink stuff pulled out, our maps in hand, our cameras charged...our hearts, souls (or soles), our energy, our love, our compassion, and our heartache are all ready to stamp out breast cancer forever and find a cure. 

As for me, the non walker, but Queen Walker Stalker, not only is all my pink ready, but I have purchased copious amounts of Kleenex...I'm assuming this year with my emotions being somewhat unchecked by lack of estrogen in my system, that I may, perhaps, cry a wee bit more.  I'm just sayin'...I may.  God knows I'll cry at opening ceremonies...and as I drive past the walkers carrying signs, and as I cheer walkers into camp, and so on and so on...I'll be a blubbering mess all weekend. And I can't wait!

And if you're in the Seattle/Everett area this weekend and want to cheer on some amazing people...come join me at a cheering station.

Cheering Stations
Public cheering stations are a great way to show your support along the route to encourage walkers and let them know that you are with them every step of the way. Seeing familiar faces cheering them on can provide that extra burst of energy that gets them to take that next step or go the next mile. Create banners, hold up signs, bring some music and make some noise - anything to make them smile, get energized and keep walking.

Friday, September 24
8:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Red Robin - 21215 Bothell-Everett Highway
Bothell, WA 98201

12:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Silver Lake Shopping Center
112th St. SE and 19th Ave. SE
Everett, WA 98208

Saturday, September 25
8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Jackson Elementary
3700 Federal Ave.
Everett, WA 98201

11:45 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Fluke Corporation
9028 Evergreen Way
Everett, WA 98204

Sunday, September 26
10:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Cal Anderson Park
1635 11th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122

And then if that's not enough, come join me at closing ceremonies.  It'll change your life.  We'll be at the Seattle center, somewhere around the Key Arena or Victory tunnel, between 1 and 4. Then closing ceremonies around 4pm. 

I'll try to blog each day, but it's unlikely...I'll be tired from all that cheering!

0 comments: