Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Waxing philosophical...

As many of you know, or don’t know but now will, I’ve not been a fan of Photoshop.  It was my, somewhat arrogant, opinion that a “real” photographer should shoot to get the best photo they should and call it a day. Just like the old days with that stuff called film (Side note: if you’re reading this and you’re too young to even know what “film” is – go away.).  I still think a photographer should shoot for the best shot, but I've adjusted my way of thinking a bit.

Through the years I’ve always felt somewhat inadequate with regards to my photos versus the photos I see in the Photography magazines.  I liken it to teen girls looking at models and wondering why they don’t look that good in a swimsuit…yah, just like that.  Now, logically I knew, and still know, that those photos are 1) shot by some of the greatest photographers of all time and 2) are touched up. I knew that. I know that. And still I compare.

So launching this new business has forced me to come to grips with Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, and as such, I have been dallying a bit with it.  I am no longer afraid of PSE or afraid of using it to enhance, boost, improve, tweak, modify, adjust, improve my photos. I’m not afraid of it one bit. In fact, I’m almost the opposite now. I’m obsessed with it.

Photoshop often makes the difference between a so-so Jenn photo and a good Jenn Photo. I’ve discovered PSE can add drama, contrast, clarity, personality, mood—qualities that many highly skilled photographers are able to impart simply by clicking the shutter, but that I have to work a little harder for.

I've also learned that you can go too far with PSE. I won't share those photos with you though. Just trust me that you can go too far...in a fun way of course.

Here are just a couple of examples I played with yesterday and how wonderful PSE made the photos. I do realize these are slightly over the top, but I’m trying to make a point here.
Meet Lady Baltimore. She’s beautiful isn’t she? I introduced her to you when I was in Juneau.  She's a rehabilitated Eagle (every time I say that I think of an alcoholic Eagle...and them getting caught for a F.U.I. - Flying Under the Influence).  This is a series of before and after photos - as if you couldn't figure that out.

Original


What a beautiful difference don't ya think? Like I said, I know it's a bit over the top, but as I stare at the photos I'm shocked at what a difference a couple of run actions can do for a photo.  They are way more dramatic and artsy.  It gets rid of all the "gunk" in the back and really allows the viewer to focus (pardon the pun) on the subject.  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep PSE is to digital photography what fertilizer is to lawns. Trick is to get the public paradigm to accept that fertilizing photos is normal.