Wednesday, September 29, 2010

0 to 60 in 3 Days

What can I say about the Susan G. Komen 3 day this year that I haven’t already said? It’s an amazing three days and each year it grabs my heart and holds on with all it’s might. As a good friend said, “the Seattle 3 day owns her heart”, I couldn’t say it better myself.


Team Wraspir finished and had a lot of celebrating to do.  The team raised over $17,000 for the cure.  One small, little team of 3 walkers and one Queen Walker Stalker managed $17,000!  Truly amazing.  Their $17K was a small drop in the bucket to the $6,000,000 that was raised overall. But that small drop will make a big difference.

2200 walkers took to the street on Friday morning.  The air was crisp, and the sun was trying with all it's might to poke through the clouds.  It ultimately did and made most of Friday a good day.  We did have some rain later in the afternoon, which was annoying!

Saturday was a gorgeous day in the Seattle area.  I'm willing to bet some walkers may think it was almost too warm.   The best part of the sunnier day was it gave more of an opportunity to see some of the crazy outfits that show up at the 3 Day.  And this year, people got creative.

Sunday was rainy for most the morning. Rainy and miserable!  But it didn't stop Team Wraspir. They whipped out their ponchos and marched on. In fact the rain didn't seem to bother any of the walkers.  As I stood in a covered doorway taking pictures in the University district I was amazed - though I shouldn't have been - at just how happy the walkers seemed.  I mean it was day 3 and the rain was coming down. But it didn't seem to phase them one bit.  And that's why I love the 3 Day!


At the end of the event, I can’t say Team Wraspir made it through unscathed – well except Seattle SIL since she was skipping on day 2 and 3 – sicko! BigBro has a plethora of blisters! Blueberry also had blisters. And I, Queen Walker Stalker had a blister!  A sympathy blister...

Closing ceremonies was moving as always. They've changed up how its done and changed the speech. I didn't think they could make that speech any more moving and touching, but they found a way.  The emotion of seeing a sea of white followed by a sea of pink (Survivors) really does get the old tear ducts working. 

So the team is resting, putting their feet up (hopefully) and is making plans for next years event.  They raised the bar this year by raising so much money and will have to bring out the new fund raising ideas to beat that goal! They can do it. 

As for the Queen Walker Stalker...I too am making plans for next year.  I have more pink this year than any other year and will have to find a way to out-do myself next year. But I too will continue to be a part of this amazing event. The people, the spirit, the passion, and the emotion is addicting and I can't imagine my life without it.  So until next year, XOXO.  Walk on all you Pink Warriors. You're the greatest!



PS - I do have about 800 photos of the event still to go through.  I'll be posting them on Flickr hopefully this weekend.

1 comments:

BigBro said...

Our stalkers (Jenn & daught Cammie), family and friends are amazing......you keep us going.....eventually we will get to a world without breast cancer.