Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Home...Home... on the range...

You know ever vacation I go on I am so excited to go.  I get excited early too. I start planning, making lists, researching the new area, making a list of things to do, making a list of photos to shoot, and on and on.  Then when the big day comes and I'm off, I swear I almost immediately start counting down to home.

It's not that I don't love traveling. Cuz I do. But there's something about coming home.  Something about your own bed, your own sheets, your own bathroom and your own "ball of needy"* (aka Pookie).

*Stole "ball of needy" from Patron Saint. It adequately describes the feline when one has been gone longer than a work day. Thanks PS.

The work really begins for me now though. I've got thousands of photos to sort through and post for all the world to see. I'm trying to do very little manipulation of the photos in PSE because I can get a bit heavy handed on the manipulation.  So far, the majority of updates I've made has been to the exposure. Which I discovered something about my camera this past week.

My camera tends to over expose.

I'd blame the user, but I tested the theory out and discovered that indeed, regardless of what the meter says it should be my photos are slightly over exposed.  Then I got to thinking about where I meter a shot (if I meter a shot) and found that I may be metering incorrectly.  I meter to the ground or foreground.  Me thinks I might need to meter a few places.

Regardless, with the beauty that is Alaska, it's hard to not get a good photo!

I've posted the first round of photos on Flickr.

Food photos are here.

Scenery of Glacier Bay is here.

I'll be going through all the glacier photos tonight...and there are a ton.  Once that's done, I'll be posting them tomorrow or the next day!

It was cold and windy on the bow as we entered Glacier Bay. This is the opening to Icy Strait.


They were serving Pea Soup to keep everyone warm.  I stuck with hot chocolate as I'm not a fan of Pea Soup.


Its breath taking, isn't it?


In the last "arm" of Glacier Bay the sun came out.  It made the water such a beautiful shade of blue. If it wasn't 52F I would have thought we were in the Caribbean.


BEARS! We saw some bears. The tan-ish thing you see the front bear by is a whale. The whale carcass has been there since May - feeding the wildlife.  A perfect example of the circle of life.

0 comments: