Monday, January 30, 2012

The Road to Hell...

...is paved with good intentions.

Ahhh yes. Intentions.

My intention this morning was to rise and shine and get my butt to the gym.  I'm meeting some girlfriends for dinner after work and won't have time to get there between end of work and beginning of girl awesomeness. 

The alarm went off and I immediately jumped out of bed.  Went potty and jumped right into the shower. After said shower I hopped right back into bed.  45 minutes later the great "Get-er-up-er-Er" Pookie - thankfully woke me.  I rolled over and realized what had happened and just laughed out loud. I can say I did at least GET UP to go work out.  Isn't that half the battle?

Tomorrow's another day.

Last Friday I met with a nutritionist at the gym - an hour consultation came as part of my gym membership.  She was nice, and not as drill Sergeant-y as other nutritionist I've known.  She was very helpful in giving me some tips on snacking better and ideas for snacks.  Then she said something that made me gasp and suddenly recognize I need to up my game....a LOT.

1 pound = 3500 calories. 

Being the math whiz that I am that means in order to lose 1 measly little pound in a week I need to work out to equal 3500 calories.  That's 500 calories a day I need to exercise towards.  That's 7 days a week of 500 calories a day. I'm so not doing that. No wonder I'm not losing very much each week. 

So my plan is to up my cardio 5 more minutes this week. On Friday I was so pleased with myself that I made it for 25 whole minutes on the elliptical without passing out.  You laugh, but I tell you when you've not been doing a darn thing for years - 25 minutes a big step. 

And at 25 minutes I burn about 375 calories. A good start, but not enough.  So this week we're going to try 30 minutes 5 days.  I'd love to say I'll get there 7 days this week, but I'm realistic in that I know I won't. I've still got a social life that I need to take care of.

Oh and the other thing this nutritionist said that made me laugh out loud was to try to have a bowel movement before I weigh in.  Apparently some of those can weigh up to 2 lbs.  Are  you kidding me? I just stared at her like she grew an antler out of her head.  Now, I know I play the "how much can I remove from my body to be decent" game before I weigh in. And I try to weigh in wearing the same clothing...but I never EVER thought about dropping a deuce before weighing in.  Of course now I will - think about it that is. 

Why does it always go back to poop in our family?

Moving on....

On the bright side, I did lose another pound. So if you're keep track at home, that's a whopping 3!  I also got measured on Saturday - I guess they'll be doing that  every 3 weeks.  I lost a half an inch on each the bust, the waist and the abdomen.  The hips stayed the same, which was a bit surprising considering the elliptical training. Oh well. I am glad to see the other areas decreased.

My free meals this weekend were mostly good. Well one of them was mostly good, the other wasn't anywhere near good.  I think I may start rethinking this "free" meal thing and maybe reduce it to just one instead of two free meals a weekend.  Maybe I should make it two free meals for the entire week!  My social life does revolve around food - and that's okay with me - it always has and it always will. I love food.  There in lies the issue. I just need to learn to love better food. Healthier food.

So today starts a new week. I'm ready. Let's get this party started.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget that the entire 3500 calories doesn't have to be exercise, though. My guess is that the JC meals are doing a lot of calorie cutting for you!

There's also water gain/loss, hormone stuff, etc etc so don't stress about the number - the measurements and how your clothes feel and most importantly how YOU feel are a way better indicator of what's going on...