Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Kingdome Lost

The  morning was crisp, but the sun was already showing some promise of making an appearance.  It was early when I loaded up the camera and hopped in the Stang. 

First stop, predictably was Starbucks. Back then in 2000 it was my lifeline.  I did nothing without that warm cup of java. 

Next stop, a park in West Seattle. The plan was to witness the implosion of the Seattle Kindome.

That was twelve years ago.

Unbelievable to think it has been that long.  Knowing today as the anniversary of the implosion, I went searching for my photos. 

Now keep in mind, back in 2000 I as still shooting with film.  How times have changed since then?  I had my 300mm lens hooked up to my first Canon Rebel. It was hooked up to my tri-pod. I would be shooting quite a distance to get the implosion on film.  And back then, you did your best to set the camera up and you hoped and prayed you did it right. There was no taking a photo and checking, and certainly no post production.

Not to mention the kingdome would only be imploded once.

The count down began.

As the timer hit zero, loud booms in succession could be heard across the sound.  We were across the water, so we saw what was happening before we heard the booms.  Then within seconds the once great, ahead of its time kingdome, was a pile of rubble.



Looking at it now, it seems like just yesterday.  And sadly, we're still paying for the kingdome even though it's long gone.

Where were you when it was imploded?

0 comments: