Thursday, March 15, 2012

On being a PiMP

In 2004 I was working at the Cat Shack (not the real name of the company) struggling in my job.  I had no direction. I had no real manager who could help direct me. The company re-orged and left me hanging without a place to go in the new org.  They had no idea what to do with me. And I had no idea what to do with me.  I wasn't happy with the current "work" I was doing, and wanted more.  I just didn't know what "more" looked like.

My manager who was, in my opinion, crazy, was quite possibly the worst manager I had ever had.  We were in cube-land and she would send an email, walk to my desk and ask if I read her email.  She frustrated me and annoyed me all the time.  She seemed smart, but didn't seem to have a clue, or care, what it was I was doing.

One day she and I were leaving at the same time. Walking to our cars she asked me if I ever thought about taking some project management classes.  I must have looked bemused because she quickly continued and said she thinks I have a natural sense for managing projects.  She thought if I showed some initiative and started taking classes that perhaps I could be a PM at this company.  She outlined the qualities I currently had that made me potentially a good PM and said she'd even approve the company to pay for my training.

Needless to say, I hopped on it.

I started taking classes toward a PM certificate at a local community college. As each quarter passed, I got closer and closer to achieving PM knowledge and thus a better career at the company.

Finally in 2005 I completed all the classes. I had in my hands a certificate that said I had taken and passed the certificate courses at the college. (Incidentally, this is where I met the Pantry Goat. She was one of my instructors.) Several members of this class were all going to continue to study for the PMP exam (Project Management Professional) - which I hadn't really considered, but figured why not. If they are all studying it would help keep me focused.

In the meantime, at the Cat Shack we re-orged.  My new manager told me I could potentially be a PM if I had my certification. So I had more on the line to pass this test.

The studying for this test was grueling.  I studied 120 hours - every waking hour was spent learning PM guidelines, rules, ways of life and then some.  I memorized my study guide from inside out.  I memorized all the formulas for earned value.  I made flash cards for definitions and concepts.  I put my heart, soul and brain into studying for this exam.

Then the day arrived to take the exam. Walking into the cramped exam room I knew my stuff. I was confident I'd do just fine and my life would change on Monday once I showed the Cat Shack I was a PMP. None of the current PMs at the Cat Shack were PMPs and so I was sure I'd be accepted and moved into a new role.

4 hours later, I sat, anxiously ready to push the "I'm done - score my test" button.  My finger lingered.  Thoughts ran through my head, "Do I need to go back to #45?", "Did I do that formula in #134 correctly?" I kept second guessing myself for a bit. Finally I pushed the "I'm done" button.  The screen went blank and I sat holding my breath.  What felt like eternity was probably only 15 seconds when a note popped up saying, go see the proctor.

Ugh. That can't be a good sign.  I walked out of the exam room, and to the proctor who was standing by the printer.  He pulled the papers from the printer, stapled them, and handed them to me and said,
Congrats! You got an 88%."

Wait - what? I passed? WOO HOO!!!!

I flew home. I was so excited that I could barely stand it.  The MomUnit and DadUnit were at my house and were anxiously waiting my arrival to find out.  The MomUnit and I danced a little jig.  Then we all went to dinner (Blueberry came with us since she had suffered through the hours of me studying too.)

The next week I was thrilled. I told my boss and a very impressive email went out to the entire company telling them I was, for all intense and purposes, a rock star.  I knew my life was going to change. I was on my way.

Or so I thought.

Next one on one with the new boss and he said, "You'll never be a PM." I wasn't sure if he meant there at the Cat Shack, or ever. But I knew then I had to leave.

That was 7 years ago.  I just completed my second round of PMP certification duties - basically getting a certain number of professional development units to continue being a PMP. I forked over my $150 and a new certificate saying I'm valid for 3 more years is on its way.

I was right in 2005 though, my life did change.  I didn't make more money immediately. In fact, I hadn't really made real PMP $$ until the last two years.  But I did move on. I did start becoming a PM and a good one too. My crazy boss was right, I did have all the mad PM skills basically built in, I just had to learn to use them. And it's amusing to me that the most annoying boss I ever had, basically changed my life. 



I have pondered once or twice if I need to keep my PMP certification. And every single time I think about it I remember how much work I put into it.  Its a priveldge to be a PMP and I'm thrilled that I was able to accomplish it.

So here's to another 3 years of being a PMP.  Its been fun.  Its been real.  Its been real fun. 

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow, I didn't realize you had been a PMP for that long. I really need to get mine and make my PM awesomeness officially official. Reading this made me feel like I can do it, too. I've had some coursework, I guess now I need to make the PMBoK my new BFF.

Congrats on re-upping your PMP!

mithun said...


Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.








Project Management Certification