Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quick and Dirty

If there is one thing I know to be not so quick, it's weight loss.  Ugh.

For those of you keeping up at home, and for those of you who are just stopping by for some much needed refreshing reading, here's an update.

As of last Saturday, I've lost 15lbs. Wow. I know. I'm totally stoked about it and can't wait for that to read 25/35/45/etc.  Here's the thing though.  Its slow.  I knew it would be. And I know it will be.  Logically, I know that.  I know that it didn't take a month to put this weight on so it'll take twice as long to take it off.

In the beginning of this life style change, the loss of a pound or less was exciting. Progress.  And somewhere in the middle of this 15 lbs the loss of a pound or less just didn't seem enough.  Frustration set in.

Then last night I decided at 9pm to go work out.  I am not sure what induced this thought to get dressed, get in the car (yes I drove. Not only was it raining, but dark and scary out there), and get to the gym.  The 30 minutes on the elliptical went by quickly. And as I was stretching after I was thinking about 15lbs and how quickly the loss really does add up - relatively speaking.

Let's take for example. When you've lost 6 lbs.  Nice, but not impressive.  It just says to me that okay you have this life style change a go.  Now what? 

But losing 15lbs to me says commitment is setting in.  Its been a battle, and a struggle, and it will continue to be one (thanks to age and slow metabolism).  But FIFTEEN POUNDS is big.  It sparkles and flashes in neon lights to me that I'm on the right path.  That despite and set backs I may "feel" I had, or despite the piece of candy/sweet I might have had, or carb I may have shoved in my mouth, I'm still doing it. 

No, it hasn't been quick.  In fact, I'm starting my 11th week and am averaging 1.36 lbs.  If I keep up this average, I will lose almost 40lbs by the cruise in October.  That doesn't seem enough to me, but it seems steady enough that maybe they'll stay off. Maybe I'll even *gasp* work out on the cruise to help keep it off.

At the end of the day, I'd like this journey to be quicker. But I know it won't be. So I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride and be proud of what I'm doing and know that each step I take will mean a longer, healthier life.

1 comments:

Lesley said...

I think you definitely have the right mindset -- one step at a time will get you to where you want to be. I'm so proud of you!