Friday, April 13, 2012

An Artist I Ain't

Yesterday while watching Ellen, she discussed a new app out for iPhone/iPads called Draw Something. It sounded interesting, and fun. I'm a horrible drawerERER...I mean bad. I have a vague recollection of playing Pictionary in college where I was drawing a typewriter and my partner guessed moose. 

Like any good follower I downloaded Draw Something.  I discovered several facebook friends who are also part of the crazy. Let the games begin.

I spent most the night laughing my ass off at some of my attempts.  How my friends guessed any of them is beyond me...other than they are awesome.

The app is very simple to use.  You start by downloading it - der. There's a free version and a $.99 version.  I recommend signing in under your FB credentials, then you can see all your friends who have it downloaded and can start games with them.

Once you start a new game you're given a list of random, in some cases VERY random, words.

You get three levels.  Each level offers more "coins" if completed successfully. The coins are used to buy other colors or other "get new words" if you're using the free version.

So once you decide which you can draw without looking like a total lunatic, you begin drawing. After a couple of tries you figure out there's an eraser, different colors (which by the way, colors make all the difference sometimes), and different size pen strokes. 
This photo was "borrowed" from the Internet and does not in any way represent one of my drawings. Though this masterpiece could be one of my drawings...I'm that bad.

Once you hit that you've finished "drawing" you send it to your unsuspecting friend. They receive it and receive a number of letters in the word, and letter options to choose from. You'd think that'd be helpful. Not so much.

This photo was "borrowed" from the Internet and does not in any way represent one of my drawings. Though my friends WISH I was that good.

So far, the one main downside I can find so far is it doesn't store any pictures you draw to look at and laugh at later.  I've been talking about this app all day and trying to explain to co-workers just how I drew a "shrimp" that looked more like a caterpillar on crack. According to their help section though that feature is coming, so Yay.

In the meantime, I may have to have a camera handy to snap some shots of these "drawings" I'm making and receiving. Let me give you an example.

It took me, my officemate, and Heater to figure this out. And I figured it out only AFTER the MomUnit gave me a hint. Because I couldn't find a way to copy this, I "drew" it basically in PaintBrush to send to Heater to help me.  So keep that in mind, but this is a pretty good rendition of what the MomUnit sent me. Her cow was a little skinnier than mine.
Even with the "it has 5 letters to it" clue and a bunch of letters provided, I had no idea what this was.  I did finally figure it out after the MomUnit gave me a clue.  Any guesses?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

udder

Unknown said...

wow, no idea? brand?

sounds like a cool game. i wonder if it's available for Android.

Al & Jo said...

And this is one of my better drawings!!!!!