Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pioneer Woman

Yesterday I met the Pioneer Woman.  It was an adventure and an experience I won’t soon forget.  I went to her new cookbook book signing at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park. Having only been there once or twice, I wasn’t sure how this book signing would go, so in typical Jenn fashion I was 2 hours early.

Being 2 hours early though granted me a rare look into the frenzy that is Pioneer Woman and the women (and some men) who follow her.  Somehow I sat outside this chaos and did not include myself in the craziness that was this book signing.

I found a seat as close to the area where she’d be doing her speaking, sat and watched the tables around me fill up.  The store employees were setting up the chairs for the speech and had blocked that area off.  I was sitting right by this area and so knew I’d be first to get a seat – or among the first.

The room began to fill as more and more women showed up for the signing.  The hum in the air was of excitement and a little bit giddy.  I could over-hear misc conversations all around me about “did you see that show?” and “Did you read her blog about XYZ?” and it went on and on. Everyone talking about Pioneer Woman.  Every person had one, two, three, or more cookbooks in their hands and were eagerly looking through them commenting on the recipes.

“Oh I made that one. It was delicious. Isn’t she clever to come up with that combination of flavors?”
 
“Oh look at that photo of Charlie. He’s so cute.”

It dawned on me, that we talk about this person as if we know her. She’s invited us into her life through her blog, her recipes, her cookbook, and her cooking show. And somehow, we all feel a kindred spirit to her and feel like she’s “one of the girls.”

And that sums up how I felt about her. She’s just an average person who’s worked very hard to get to where she is. And somehow she’s managed to hold on to herself in spite of all the fame (and I’m sure fortune).

Anyhow, back to the signing.

The store employees motioned that the seating was opened. I got up and started walking towards a seat and was shoved, pushed, crushed, etc by a stampede of women trying to get a seat.  You would have thought that a major designer was giving away clothing for free.  The frantic feeling of these women to “get the best seat” was insane. I’ve never seen anything like it and never want to again. 

I ended up off to the side, but in the front seat. I had a perfect view of her as far as I was concerned.

She spoke for about 30 minutes and told her story.  I’m sure everyone in the room knew her story but she told it anyhow. She told us about how she ended up in Oklahoma, how she had 4 children, how much she loves her dog Charlie, and her dog Walter, and the other animals on the ranch. She spoke about how far she’s come with her food photos over the years, and gave us some examples, of then and now.  Truly an amazing transformation.  I wished, for a moment, I would make that transformation too. She sang a little song to Charlie the Basset hound, she smiled, she was gracious to us for being there. And I think still a little stunned at how much people have taken to her little cookbook, blog and story. She seemed genuine.  She seemed real.


After she spoke, the store employees called for signing group “A”, which I was a part of because I was Johnny on the spot to get my signing ticket back in March.  The employees asked everyone else to stay seated while the A group gets through, then they’d call each group individually.  Naturally, no one listened to them and everyone got up. I had to force my way through the crowd to get to the signing.

As I got closer to where they were checking the signing tickets, this rude woman says to me, “HEY! The line starts back there.” So I asked her if she was waiting to go in as an “A” ticket holder. Her response was a resounding no. So I flipped my little signing ticket in her face (not really that close) and said, “Well I am an A ticket holder, so I’m going to go on through.” (In my head I ended that last sentence with the word “bitch”).

Once “on the other side” I was about 15 back from getting my book signed. You could feel the excitement in the air. All of us women grasping our books and waiting patiently.



The woman in front of me turned around and asked me what my favorite recipe of hers is.  I couldn’t possibly answer that. There’s so many.

Finally it was my turn.

I approached her and she smiled so fully and said, “Hiya.” 

First it was the photo – I asked her to hold Puck. She commented that Puck was an original name and how did I come up with it.  My response was, “It stands for Pink Duck.” Of which she replied, “Clever!”  


Then as she started signing books I mentioned to her that I was a finalist in one of her photo contests. I had my wits about me and had brought a copy of the photo to job her memory. She looked at the photo and said, “Oh I remember this one. I loved it. “ She asked for the story behind it and I briefly told her. 

Then she thanked me for coming and sent me on my way.


It all happened so very fast, but I’m so glad I did it. I got four books signed … and I know each of my friends will pay me handsomely for their books…if they want them that is.

For Mom because she asked nicely.

For Heather because she and I talk PDub stuff every day.

And for Megan for giving me the first PDub cookbook and getting the craze started.

2 comments:

Heather Bee said...

Thank you, again! I honestly wish I could have gone. I thought about you all night and how cool of a time you had to have been having. I made due with watching PDub on the tele, but... man, I wish I had went with you!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great experience!! Yay for you.