Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thanks Easter Bunny - BRAUCK BRAUCK

Whew, what a weekend. 

Saturday took all the emotion out of me and left me dangling dry and empty for Sunday's Easter dinner.  Thankfully some usual suspects were on hand to help celebrate Easter. Thanks to BigBro, Seattle Sister-In-Law and The Pantry Goat for coming to Chez Jenn's - oh and Millie too - and spending a couple of hours laughing, and chatting about everything and anything.


I didn't make the traditional Easter ham. I'm not a huge ham fan and it cooks WAY too much. So I opted for my go to marinated flank steak, potato-bacon torte (basically potatoes gratin in a pie shell - does it get any better than that?, asparagus and a peanut butter sheet cake that was, in my opinion, to die for.

BigBro a couple of days prior had mentioned Peeps.  I remembered I had wanted to get some Peeps to do some photographing with.  I'm not a fan of Peeps either, but for the BigBro and for photography I'd get some. 






 I have also, secretly, always wanted to do special table settings for big occasions. Sometimes I get creative and can think of something. Most the time I do not. So spur of the moment, I decided to do little chocolate bunnies on everyone's plates.  They turned out pretty darn cute I think.



 But the star of the show was Millie. She belongs to the Pantry Goat - temporarily - and is the sweetest dog. So patient and so willing to do anything just to get some attention.  Naturally, I had to see if she would balance Peeps on her head.  Naturally BigBro was in on helping me.  My accomplice.

Look how sweet she is. He eyes are saying, "Really?" But she sat still as we placed those Peeps on her head.


Then we had to test to see if she'd sit with one on her nose.  Such a good girl.  She let me snap off about a dozen photos, and even then she didn't go after that Peep. She waited until we took it off her nose.
How many can she balance? After the fact, we realized we had one more Peep, but decided we'd tortured her enough and so balancing three was the new house record. And the only house record for that matter.


But we weren't done with her yet. We had to test it on Puck. She did try to eat Puck when I offered her a smell to meet Puck.  One lick and she decided it was not covered in sugar goodness.  BTW she did get a Peep for a treat for being such a good dog.

BigBro couldn't be out done by a dog. 

It was a good day. I so enjoy, and have missed, cooking a big meal.  Sunday dinner is this coming week and I can't wait to see the crowd that's coming for that.

I realized I haven't had my camera out for a while. I've decided to not do Project 365 this year. While it was fun, it was a bit much. On the other hand, it did have me taking a lot more photos.  I need to get the camera out this weekend. I'm taking Sparky in to get her new light bar for the windscreen and it promises to be a sunshiney day.

In other exciting news, my trip to Vancouver is just around the corner. Blueberry isn't sure she'll get her passport in time (don't get me started on this) and so I have the Seattle SIL waiting in the wings.  Either way I'm sure it'll be fun. I have a bunch of stuff in my head planned to do.  Now I just need to get there and do some of it. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, our dogs would NEVER be able to do those tricks with actual food.

We have not yet successfully cooked a ham, but I do love it when it's cooked right.