Monday, April 16, 2012

This too shall pass...

I am, of course, referring to the blasted rain that's back in the Great Northwest.  After a beautiful, sunny weekend, the rain has returned. And oddly, I'm okay with that. Allergies were out of control this weekend, so the rain helps some.

This weekend FLEW by. I had a ton of stuff on my agenda to do, and I did about one-third of it. But that's okay. Nothing major got left out.

Saturday, bright and early, okay, so not early. I took Sparky off to get her new bling!  Dropped her off and met the Pantry Goat for breakfast. We went to a little dive we'd gone to before. It was almost 11am so I ordered lunch and the Pantry Goat ordered dinner.  More specifically Liver & Onions. Blech.  Puck wanted to make an appearance too so we set him up as the cherry on top of the Pantry Goat's ice cream that came with her dinner.


After breakfast, the Pantry Goat dropped me off at Starbucks so I can wait for Sparky to be done. I anticipated having to be there for a couple of hours, but turned out I was only there for like 30 minutes. I literally got my iced tea, sat down, flipped through a couple of pages of my book, drew a few items for the game I'm addicted to and the phone call came in that Sparky was done.

I hoofed it a half a mile to pick her up. She looked good. Sitting in the sun all sparkly with her clean outside and her new bling.

Smokin'!!!

You'll notice the sun is out too. Rare in Seattle in the Spring.


Ah, the new windscreen. 
I drove the long way home to "test" it. And I may, or may not have drove 70+ MPH to see just how well it did work. With the windows down, the wind is like a breeze.  With the windows up, it's like an oversized sun roof. Sunshine, and a little breeze. It's awesome. I'm so glad I did this.

Sunday, I was up early thanks to the Canadian Geese that frequent Lake Jenn (aka the pond out back). They honk their way in to the pond every morning about 5:15am. It wakes the cat. Which, anyone who has a cat knows, means I am next to be poked awake.

Sunday was Sunday Dinner day. I had all the makings already so I got to it. By 9am everything was done with the exception of grilling the chicken.

I tried to keep it light again this month.  Sunday dinners were originally about comfort and cooking all those large comfort food type of meals.  I'll get back to that I'm sure, but for now I'm trying to keep it light.  Dinner consisted of:

Open-faced Chicken Sandwiches with Basil Mayo. I swapped out the ground chicken, for chicken breasts. And I marinated them in homemade pesto for the day. OMG they were so good. The mayo for this sandwich is weird in that it has basil AND dill pickles. The first time I made this recipe I was all, "That's an odd combo." but I tried it and was surprised with just how good it was.

Along side I made a Caprese salad - using a little of the homemade pesto and some balsamic vinegar. Yum.  And I made Balsamic Green Beans and Mushrooms.

THAT recipe was awesome.  Putting the green beans and mushrooms in a marinade, then baking them at a high heat made the ends and outter edges all caramelized.  OMG. So good.

Finally, I did the Flat Apple Pie again for dessert.

All in all, the good friends, good conversation, and good food resulted in another successful Sunday dinner. Know how I know it was successful?

0 comments: