Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Few Things About NY

This past trip to NY was my third time to the big apple. I love the place, but would never want to live there. I may fantasize about it  now and then, the livelihood of the town is just so addicting.  That being said, I've learned a few thing about New York and New Yorkers and proved my theories this trip.

1. Taxi drivers are actually quite good drivers.  They're scarier than hell to ride in, but considering how many cabs are in NY and how few accidents you see. Those guys (and gals I'm sure) really know how to drive. The key is, they ALL drive the same. It's like a choreographed dance. One wrong step and BLAM!

2. Honking isn't because they're pissed. Well, sometimes it is. For example, when a pedestrian crosses against the light and causes a driver to slow down. That horn? Yah, they mean business. Otherwise, the honking is really about awareness. It's saying, "Hey I'm here, don't move over." Being a person who stresses when someone else is driving, I find in NY I just accept that my life is in the hands of skilled drivers.

3. NYers really aren't rude. They are just busy people who need to get where they're going. Each NYer I interacted with was pleasant and helpful. Even the employees in what I think would be the WORST place to work, any store in Time Square.

4. NY is alive. No matter what time of night or day, or where you are, there's something happening. The city breathes. If you want quiet time, fuggedaboutit.

5. I could never imagine saying these words while in NY, "I'm bored."

6. Nor could I ever imagine anyone ever saying, "I'm hungry but there's nothing to eat."

I need to spend more time in NY, but I think it's safe to say it's a city that I love to visit. I've done most of the big touristy stuff now. It'd be nice to spend some quality time strolling through the different parts of the city, starting in Greenwich Village.

I'll be posting more about the trip through this week. I've got much to say...and unlike NYers, I won't have an accent.

0 comments: