Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dinner en Blanc

Last Saturday I got to experience something I never thought I would, and didn't even know I wanted to.

The Pantry Goat had invited me to join her in this flash mob which is the dinner en blanc. I was hesitate to at first because I'm not a fan of going to a gathering where I know no one - the Pantry Goat was the hostess so she'd be busy.  I'm shy you see.

No really, I am.

Anyhow, now that you've stopped laughing.

Diner en blanc started in Paris. The story goes that young Parisian man wanted to have an intimate dinner with his friends. He asked them all to bring something and to wear all white so they could recognize each other from the crowds of Paris.  It's grown significantly since that first dinner. It's international now.

What is it? Well it's a flash mob dinner. The participants all arrive at a secret place, set up tables and dinner wear, and feast. It does take some significant planning though. The table host - in this case the Pantry Goat - has to gather guests, figure out who's bringing what, be sure to strong arm all the guest to make sure they wear white from head to toe.

The location of the dinner isn't disclosed until a couple of hours before. That in and of itself is difficult for a planner like me.

This year the dinner was held on Pier 62 on Seattle's waterfront. The view from there is dreamy.  It was a beautiful night and perfect for a flash mob dinner.



I received notification at 3pm where we'd be dining. I was bringing flank steak for the dinner. I threw them on the grill and got the rest of my stuff together.

I took off to Seattle - horrible traffic - and hooked up with a friend of the Pantry Goat's to carpool.  We had a slight miscommunication and this friend thought we'd be walking to the location. Easily a mile or more. Which would normally be fine but I had 4 folding chairs, a bag of meat and two bottles of wine and wearing flip flops. No way I was walking. A couple of his friends were at our drop off location and they offered to drive us down.

Phew.

At 5:45 pm we all met at the waterfront "staging" area. At 6pm sharp notification was given and in 15 minutes time we had tables set up, set with all white dishes, and dinner being served. It was fascinating.

I'm so glad I went and totally plan on going next year. It was truly a riot to see all these people in white - 500 this year - all having a grand time.



At 9:30 sharp we all walk off the pier - flash mob done.

Can you believe I wore white? I wore white for 5 hours and didn't get a single thing on me...amazing.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep meaning to ask you about this and forgot. Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering about the background of the event. So cool and I love that you got some great photos!