Friday, August 08, 2014

S.O.S

Let me first say, I am not a baker. Never have been. And most likely never will be. Maybe.

Sure, I can bake cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc. Those are easy. But when it comes to cooking any type of bread product - biscuits, bread etc - I have a huge blocking something, I don't know what.

The DadUnit used to make these amazing biscuits.  I used to love being home at Christmas time because it was almost guaranteed that we'd do biscuits and gravy for Christmas morning breakfast. I'd often be in the kitchen with the DadUnit, but really not paying much attention.

The DadUnits biscuit recipe is one that he adopted during his time in Iran.  A group of women put together this cookbook and in it - on page 103 - is the famous biscuit recipe.


I'm not even really sure what other recipes my live in this cookbook, because the only one I ever cared about was that one, well-used recipe on page 103.


When the DadUnit died, mom asked me what, if any, of the DadUnit's cookbooks did I want. I knew immediately I had to have the book from Iran. I was going to take on the ownership of THE recipe for the biscuits.  The DadUnit's legacy of the world's best biscuits can live on in me.

Oh so I thought.

I've made these biscuits a couple of time. The first was in the April before the DadUnit passed away. Bigbro, Seattle SIL and I were all down in Tucson to celebrate the DadUnit's birthday. For Easter dinner I decided to make these biscuits.

What I made, instead, were small, over-cooked hockey pucks.

Undeterred I made them one more time. I had a hankering one morning for biscuits and I made a batch. They were underwhelming to say the least. They were flat, flour-y tasting and so not the DadUnit's biscuits.

Today I decided I wanted S.O.S for dinner. S.O.S was a dinner the MomUnit and Father #1 used to make. I don't have very many memories of having it with the DadUnit, but I'm sure we did. My memories are of my early life with Father #1.

What's S.O.S? It's a military meal, from what I understand. It's essentially hamburger gravy and you would put it over toast. I prefer biscuits.

Enter tonight's dinner. Instead of buying biscuits, I decide to make the DadUnit's biscuits. Surely I can make these like he did. Maybe.

Suffice it to say, they were no where near the DadUnit's biscuits. They were a biscuit fail, in my opinion.


Not only did they not rise - which is probably because I flattened the dough too much before cutting it - but they have that flour-y taste to them. They kinda tasted like flour and a little bit of salt.

I am not giving up. There's another recipe just below the biscuit recipe that could be the one the DadUnit used. I have to admit I have never really been sure which of the two recipe's he used. I assumed it was this one because it's where the most "mess" is on the page. Maybe the next time I'll try the other.

It didn't however, stop me from eating them. I just didn't eat as many.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Bread is hard for me too. TJ is the bread baker in our house. Someday I'll try it ;)