Thursday, August 21, 2014

Weddings and such

I'm not generally a fan of weddings. I can't really put my finger on why other than they are almost always over the top and, well, boring for me.

Two weddings stand out as not being the case.

The first was Mr & Mrs. Braspir's kid - Jesus we'll call him - getting married. Their ceremony was 5 minutes AT THE MOST, and then they had a feast of BBQ viddles. One big ass party after the ceremony. It was perfect.

And then of course this happened...



 I don't try to explain what BigBro did, but my word he made me laugh all the time.

This past weekend's trip to NY was all about my oldest nephew's wedding. We adore his new wife and are so happy to welcome her into our family. I'm not sure she really understands what she's gotten herself into...but she didn't run from the altar screaming.

This wedding was probably the best...wedding...ever in my book. For a different reason than the one above.

For starters, this wedding gave me an excuse to go to NY. They get big kudos for that. The wedding was at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and my goodness was it beautiful.

 
The ceremony was relatively short and to the point. I didn't realize my new niece was Jewish so was somewhat taken back by a Rabi coming in to perform the service. He was hilarious and kept the nuptials moving along and entertaining.


After the ceremony they had a cocktail hour. Open bar...and The Wraspirtini. Two deadly combinations for me.  I didn't know the Wraspirtini existed at first. My other niece, bless her, filled me in on them. So it's her fault I had 5.

Ahem....

Anyhow, the cocktail hour had appetizers that included lobster, crab, oysters, shrimp and all sorts of salads and fried goodies. The music played and it was a good time.  Thankfully I found the lovely couple and forced them to take a photo or two with me.

My oldest nephew...all growd up now. Note: I do not have a Wraspirtini in my hand yet. That would be a rum and coke.
The new niece and the oldest nephew.
 I figured it was a good time to snap a photo of the MomUnit and I along with St. Louis SIL - mother of the groom.  

Once inside to start the actual reception, they had a HUGE dance party. The Nephew and Newest Niece came bee-boppin in to 80's music...I'm not quite sure they were alive yet when this music was popular, but whatever.


There were more Wraspirtini's...and then this happened...

That would be the niece who introduced me to the Wraspirtini.  See how much we look alike...?

Anyhow, back to the wedding.  After some dancing, we sat and had the salad course. Then more dancing and then dinner about an hour and a half later. Our options were filet mignon (yes please!) or Seabass. The food was out of this world. I must say. The meat was cooked perfectly and was so tender and delicious.

After the dinner course, you guessed it more dancing. Then macaroons, then dancing, then a small dessert of grilled pineapple, ice cream and chocolate, then dancing, THEN the cake.

By then, the MomUnit and I were two sheets to the wind so we opted to take a cab back to the hotel.  It was just after 11:00PM I think...and we were beat.

Of course snagged these pre-wedding photos from the Niece.  Such a beautiful location for photos for such a great family.

Welcome to the family KIM JAM...you're one of us now.



0 comments: