Thursday, March 12, 2015

Memories...

Its funny how memories come to you. And memories are a funny thing to me.  Some things I can remember as if they happened yesterday - good and bad. Other things, I struggle to even recall.

Case in point. This Monday while at dinner club, Blueberry and I started talking about a place we lived in the past and she said something like, "remember the cats?"

And I was like, "Cats?"

And she went into great detail about these cats, their names, their habits, what they looked like etc.

All the while, there's a small, very small, memory of them. Why they don't stand out is anybody's guess.

Then there are those horrid memories that you will never forget. Those I go back and forth on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think it's mostly good, but I could have done without the horrid experience.

This morning I had a memory that drew a big wide smile on my face.

It's 2008 and BigBro, Blueberry and I are on day 3 of the 3 day. I was exhausted, cranky, hungry, and exhausted. Did I mention I was exhausted?

We were just outside of Greenlake at the crazy stop light by Kidd Valley.  There were hot, tired walkers on every corner. Then it started.

One side of the street yelled, "We've got spirit, yes we do. We've got spirit how 'bout you?"

They pointed to our direction and we responded in kind. "Our spirit is SKY HIGH"...

This went on for the duration of the light and we all walked on.

It certainly lifted my spirit and I'm certain it lifted other walkers spirits too. It was one of those memories I'll have forever.

The other thing that fascinates me about memories are the one's we chose to keep.  The MomUnit recently hooked back up with an old friend from high school. These two, apparently, pal'ed around together and got into all shades of trouble back then.

As they reminisced, the old friend said, "Remember when we did XYZ?" And the MomUnit hadn't remembered.  Surely they had done it, but the MomUnit didn't have a memory of it. The same was true for the MomUnit's memories versus the old friend's. It all sounded like something they'd do, but time had erased some of those memories.

I've often wondered if some of my old friends remember some of the things that I clearly think were important enough to remember. Then I wonder if I am remembering them correctly, or did I somehow make it up. It's hard to say.

They say the memory is the first thing to go as you age, and boy don't I believe it. I think one of the many reasons I blog is so I can remember. I KNOW it's one of the many reasons I'm a photo bug.  Photos trigger memories for me...that way I don't have to keep them locked up in the safe filing cabinet called my brain.

How about you? Got any random memories that you keep?

0 comments: