Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom, I love you more than you love me because you have only loved me for a part of your life and I have loved you for all of mine.



HAPPY MOM'S DAY MOM!!!!

I could go on and on why I cherish my mom. Many of my stories aren't any different than most women who are fortunate enough to have their best friend be their mom. ( I can guarantee she tears up as she reads that last line.) My mom knows me better than anyone else and has always been quick with a thump on the head to straighten up. She's just as quick with an "atta girl" when it applied.

I'll be your shoulder when you need someone to lean on.
Be your shelter. When you need someone to see you through.
I'll be there to carry you. I'll be there.
I'll be the rock that will be strong for you.
The one that will hold on to you.
When you feel that rain falling down.
When there's nobody else around. I'll be.

When I think back to the early years of my life I was always a momma's girl. I have several cherished memories of watching my mom be the strong, never bending woman during times you were sure she'd falter. I can remember, specifically, a day in college when I decided it was okay to be like her.

I look at my life now and see so many similarities. As much as I tried to not be like her - because face it we all want to be unique - the truth is I am her. We not only look a bit a like (ya think?) but I see myself as a fighter, a woman who will not be held back or held down. Push me, kick me, try to hold me under the water and see me fail, and I will prove you wrong. That was my mom. She battled in the land of the good old boys at Boeing to be a manager and try to make a difference in the company. A career woman because she had to be. A mom because she wanted to be. Lubya mom. (BTW for those of you who like to email me because I've spelled something wrong...that is an inside joke with my mom and me and so please don't email me to tell me I spelled luv ya wrong.)

And...in other news. The weekend walk was 14 miles. We took off from BigBro's house at 7am and walked the Burke Gilman trail to the University of Washington. Up over this BIG hill in the U district, down the back side and over to Greenlake,then back to BigBro's. I struggled yesterday. At one point, I wanted to just sit on the curve and not move for 3 days. I just didn't want to go on. I was done. My self speak was all about wondering what the hell I was doing thinking I could walk 60 miles. It was a stupid idea to ever think, and I should just quit now! Yah, great self speak huh? But somehow I managed to put one foot in front of the other and we made it home. Once home I was very glad I was out walking, but still. I was one tired puppy.

So where am I with my adventure? I'm over $3000 ($3,125) in donations (see below for the most recent shout outs), and yesterday put me over 200 training miles (210 to be exact). Just looking at those two numbers and I see why I'm doing this.

Big HUGE shout out to Susan and Felicia for your donations. I'm always amazed that people are generous even when they don't know you. Thank you again.

And MOMUNIT...wow...thank you for your extremely generous donation. I knew you said you'd donate with a hefty amount, but holy cow...thanks.

If anyone knows how I can get the roll call from my 3day site onto this blog, please let me know! I think it would be kick ass to have here.

And with that...Jenn over and out.

PS I bought another pink item that I'll blog about later. But suffice it to say, everyone of whom I've either told or have seen it have given me the "you've got to be kidding me." look.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Boohoo...you made me cry! But thank you for what you said...today I needed it.

Keep up the walking...it will get easier..maybe. I am just so proud of you for doing this! YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT. Remember grandma's two ants...can and can't!

Love you so very much
Mom