Sunday, May 25, 2008

One and one is sometimes eleven

It seems a lifetime since I last wrote. I was most certainly in a funk and writing helped me get out of it. Wednesday and Thursday I worked a total of 30 hours, by Friday I was indeed fried. But I have lived to tell the tale. I did finally get some positive feedback, though not from who I expected, but none the less it felt good to know I wasn't in it alone. And thanks to everyone who passed on their words of encouragement, it helped.
I got home Friday around 2:30 and was so tired I wasn't sure how I was to possibly walk 15 miles. This weekend was our "test" in that we wanted to do 15 miles back to back. After looking at google pedometer we found it was more likely 12 for Friday. Perfect. Bigbro walked from his work and so by the time he met us he'd already gone 10 miles. It was sunny with the threat of overcast and maybe rain. But off we went. I took my 5 hour energy in my water - so as to not get all weird like I did the first time I took it. So despite the fact I wanted to do nothing but nap, I strapped on my shoes and I was off.

About 10 minutes into it the rain started. It wasn't a down pour, but a constant rain. It was miserable. We debated on calling BigBro's wifeepoo to pick us up, but by the time we thought that we figured we only had about 4 miles left. I was feeling surprisingly well considering the week I had. And then...

About 2 miles out I hit the wall. That invisible "i can't go any further" wall. BigBro gave us two options at that point. We could either take this ENORMOUS hill or walk 14 more blocks on flat land. Clearly I was delusional because I suggested the hill. At some point BigBro said (though as I understand it now he said it BEFORE we took off I just either ignored it or missed it) that the hill was about 12 blocks long. erm, what? Ugh. The first part of this hill was straight up. Shut up I know hills are generally straight up, but I mean STRAIGHT up...it felt like climbing a ladder. (Drama queen alert) - I thought I was going to die. But alas, I got to the top and that good old feeling of accomplishment greeted me. It was all down hill from there. My right foot was hurting like crazy. The start of that blasted ball of my foot blister. I had a bad feeling about being able to get up and walk again on Saturday.

So Saturday morning I tried to "fix" it by putting puffy moleskin on both balls. I mean both balls of my feet you pervert. But even then I wasn't sure. It hurt. And we all know my threshold of pain is like - well it doesn't exist. I'll admit it. I'm a baby.
Got to BigBro's house, we decided on a route and we were off. Coffee in hand, 5 hour energy in my water and I was ready. The foot was hurting. About 2 miles we came across a Joe's sporting good store, so we decided we should go in and get some medical tape and maybe something to help cushion my foot. And wouldn't you know it, they had PINK prewrap and pink medical tape. Well, I couldn't not get pink. So now I have some very cool pink tape to go with all the other pink items I've collected in the past year.
BigBro got out his second skin, gause and bandaids. We cushioned up the right foot and wrapped it in perty pink tape and we were off. It felt good really. The weird thing is if you stop, the first 5 steps when you start again hurt like hell. But then it's like it goes numb or something, but its fine. So we walked on.
At a certain point we hit a park in Seattle. We were going to walk to the water and come back up, about another mile on our trek. I decided to stay at the top and rest the foot and stretch a bit. BigBro and Blueberry were off. By the time they got back, I was glad I didn't bother. They were both panting as the hike back up was quite the hike. Finally, I made a good solid decision that I was sure would save my foot.
We turned to head home. The sun was high in the sky by this point and it was warm, but a nice warm. Around 70 which in my opinion is perfect to walk in. A heck of a lot better than Friday night's rain walk. At this point though my left foot was starting to be vocal about all the attention the right foot was getting. I decided to ignore it and just keep on. Maybe not the best decision, but I just wanted to get home.
As we headed up this hill, there on the horizon we saw it. 7-11....ahhhh, our hot dog break. Thank god. Now generally speaking our hot dog breaks are quick. I mean after all we are stopping at a convenience store who's entire purpose is for people to get in and out pretty quick. This 7-11 apparently didn't get that memo. My. god. It took us 20 minutes I swear to get our dogs, and get out of there. The clerk was no where to be found when we got in. Several other "characters" were in the store with us. We weren't exactly in a great part of town and we got to experience all the "winners" from that area. Drunk man 1 decided to just walk out with his beer since the clerk was no where around. As he left two meth girls walked in on a "munchy" break. Still no clerk. I was peaking into the back rooms and finally she came out of the bathroom. It was pretty clear pretty quick that she wasn't playing with a full deck and she confirmed it when she was trying to ring Blue up for her hot dog. Bigbro and I gave up waiting for the clerk so we went and decorated our dogs and just stood in the back eating them. We were almost done before Blue got back and we just stood and watched the scene of crazy that was in the store. Then BigBro and I had to check out - my god. The clerk couldn't figure out how to ring bro's dogs up since they were a two-fer. He got a deal on it too...I made mine relatively simple for her, but still. So off we went.
In the end I did 11 Friday night and 11 on Saturday. Bigbro and Blue did a bit more since they walked to the park and back. It was a good test, and I really need to figure out what to do about my feet. It sucks really because the legs don't hurt, and aren't sore...so if I can figure out the feet I'd be good to go.
I'm finally sitting and resting. I was in bed by 9pm last night and was out with no effort. I had to get my energy back since today was going to be a full one too. But in a good way. Picking up TheNiece for a pedicure and lunch. I won't be getting an "official" pedicure, but a soak and a massage...which is fine by me.
And as if my life isn't already busy, but I leave for Orlando on Wednesday for a much needed vacation. SLSIL will be meeting me - Yay - and we'll be getting into some trouble. Then I have to be at a tradeshow for 5 days. All in all it will put me behind at work, but I'll be where its warm and not in Seattle.

3 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Orlando and warm...hmmm...more like warm and HUMID. Better put your humidity alert on high. Have a fun trip...and I don't even envy you going this time. I am too darn tired to want to go anywhere but to sleep!

Nicki said...

You know, every time I see something pink I think about you.

I really do hope you get the feet thing sorted. It seems like you got the rest of it kicked besides that.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a better weekend than your week last week. I tell you what, even though we are going there for work, I am looking forward to the humidity and heat. Just not the bugs...