Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Obsess much?

So I have, on occasion, found myself a bit OCD about things. I can't help it really. It's part of this wonderful DNA I received. Basically, it's built in.

Usually my obsessions are harmless. Nothing more than a few loss dollars and maybe a bit of sense along the way. This year's obsession is one that has surprised even me. Blueberry is calling for an intervention if it keeps up. Which is too bad because I'm sure I won't find the time to meet since all my time has been given to one thing...reading.

I've always liked to read. I love how my imagination takes flight as I read the words. I'm particular about what I read too - shocking I know. If I don't get interested within 25-30 pages, I move on. I have no problem putting down a book and never picking it up again. I have friends who do have that - we'll call it "issue". You know who you are too. I, do not.

Since the start of this year I've read about 37 books. Now, before you get all, "omg she needs a life" on me - I do, in fact need a life, but that's not the point. The point is I'm reading like it's the only thing to do. I've been addicted to Nora Roberts of late. Not overly complicated literature I realize. And each book is pretty much like the last with a few small items changing, but I can't stop reading them. I can take down a NR book in 2 days - reading only after work and before bed. Which if you do your math you'll realize I run out of books pretty quickly.

Enter local library. Yay. I stepped foot into a library - on my own fruition and without needing to study. It smelled the same. Libraries always smell the same. The librarian was the same older grey haired lady with her bra strap sliding down her arm and large horn rimmed glasses with a chain on them. She's scary, but helpful. The air is full of the smell of old, musty pages, flipping dust into the air with every turn. Dewie and his decimal system still in tact after all these years. Though admittedly a lot of the books are now sorted by author name instead of an assigned number...but still...it's the same.

What isn't the same is the enormous amount of technology libraries have today. I'm a smart girl, one who can figure things out relatively quickly, but I gotta tell ya, ordering books online and trying to figure out when and if they'll be available for me to pick up has been nothing but a hard time. I did get the hang of it though and currently have 7 books on hold that will be ready for my pick up within days. And returning books. OMG. It's a matter of sliding up to a machine that resembles an ATM, scanning the bar code and letting the little conveyor belt take the book away. No more stamping the fronts with dates for return, no more dumping the books in a big huge metal bin...it's all automatized (is that even a word?)

But despite my library-ness of late I bought 4 new books that are a new vampire series (only they spell vampire vampyre - which is just weird and wrong). It's the House of Night Series. I've started the first of 5 books, Marked. Its no Twilight, but they are surprisingly entertaining. I love how each new vampire series has a new twist on vampires. For example, Twilight has the vampires around during the day and attending high school and acting as if they are "vegetarians" in that they don't drink human blood. The Sookie Stackhouse series (The books HBO's True Blood series is based on) has the vampires coming out of the dark and integrating into world mainstream. They announce to the world that vampires do exist and they are living among you. Great set of books, by the way. Now the House of Night series has the vampires, or vampyres being "marked" to be turned in to vampires. No biting to turn them, but instead they get this funky tattoo on their fore head. Marked usually in high school, so they then have to attend this vampire high school. All very odd I know, but it's fascinating to me how a topic that is hundreds of years old can be turned to fit our world today.

So...House of Night series is my new favorite obsession. It's my obsession, yes my obsession. OMG I've forgotten how TOTALLY 80's and how TOTALLY horrible that video is.

1 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Jenn, you haven't read real vampire novels until you've read Brian Lumley's Necroscope. Just saying.

(Oh, and I know a guy who wrote the ultimate zombie book you might be interested in... he shamelessly plugged...)