Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I Was Here!

Since I'm not actually walking in the 3Day this year, I decided to put my talents into volunteering. I've been doing their Getting Started meetings of late (8 total so far). At each meeting they go through what to expect, how to raise $$, how to train etc and they show this video.

I cry.

I get the song stuck in my head. (shocking I know)

There was a meeting tonight and I listened very carefully to the lyrics of the song and teared up just thinking about the song being an anthem for myself. At one point the lyrics say, "And I know, I know that I will do something than just pass through this life...I'll leave nothing less, nothing less than something that says, I was here!" And that struck a serious chord with me. (That's an intended pun by the way).

I realized I want to be remembered for what I did. For the mark I made. And I want to be sure I leave a mark. I know I'm not the most generous volunteer out there, never planned on being that. But the fact that I'm giving back, the fact that I've done the 3Day and continue to support a cause that is my statement in a way...I'm very proud of that. And whether anyone remembers me, they may remember I was here and left a mark.

And if you're feeling up to it...go visit the 3Day videos...get a kleenex. You've been warned.
http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Videos

2 comments:

BigBro said...

Great song......and a great match for the 3-Day walk. Doing something BOLD to say "I was here........"
Keep it up sis.........

Anonymous said...

Jenn....you made your mark on me last year! I love this post -- I'll share it with Kendall, as she loves that song too. Thank you so much for volunteering!!! --Erin