Thursday, April 30, 2009

Alcanzar Una Estrella

Back in 1990 I was given another opportunity of a lifetime. (The first going to a boarding school in Switzerland – thanks mom and dad). I got to participate in an exchange program with La Universidad de Guadalajara. I wasn’t sure the ParentalUnits would approve or be able to afford it, but as it turned out they not only approved, but a semester in Mexico was WAY cheaper than a semester at WSU. So I applied and was accepted. I got notified of the family I would be living with and in August of 1990 I was on an American flight bound for Guadalajara.

I can remember packing that summer and feeling a bit odd about leaving my friends behind – again – and jetting off to a new adventure. Knowing I wouldn’t forget it… Ever. I almost backed out. Friends being all important to you in your late teens. But I had the ticket and my passport and I knew I’d be coming back. I knew from after the TASIS experience that my life would not be the same and those relationships with my friends would be strained and then different when I returned. Yet I knew the true friends would support me and be sending me reese peanut butter cups in the mail (Thanks blueberry).

Landing in Guadalajara I was petrified. I had 7 years of Spanish at that point and upon stepping out of the jet way forgot how to even say hello. The family I was to stay with the – oh god, what was their last name…? Um…huh? Gone…Their last name...- anyhow, the mom and dad met me at the airport. The immediately reminded me of my grandparents on my parents side. She was tall and authoritative; he was shorter and immediately seemed very loveable. I knew instantly though who ruled the roost. Ariana and Salvador where their names.

As we drove through Guadalajara – they pointed out sights and gave me the lowdown on the school. I had a couple of days before I had to register, and they were certain I’d be settled in by then. And they were right.

The next day, Ariana took me to the school to get registered. It was about a mile away and we walked. All along the way she gave me pointers on how to be safe. After registering, she took me to the cathedral downtown and gave me the historic walk through. I was in awe. Guadalajara wasn’t anything like the border/tourist towns of Mexico I had expected. It had, culture. People everywhere. People crammed into local busses, hanging out the doors as the bus waddled along belching noxious black smoke out their tail pipes. (I’d later discover that blowing ones nose when one was in such are area produced black snot – I’m just sayin’.) Still I couldn’t get enough.

The family was fantastic. I quickly learned that the mother doted on everyone. I did almost nothing for 4 months. I barely had to pour milk on my cereal – she took care of it. She could cook like there was no tomorrow too and I begged her to let me help her and learn. In fact, I still have her recipes. They’re all in Spanish and I don’t dare try to translate them now.

I had a roommate there too. Another exchange student from WSU. She was blond and skinny and all the Mexican boys were attracted to her. But she was nice and fun and we got along great. She had some complications towards the end of our stay that tested my ability to not only speak Spanish, but to keep myself together in a crisis in a foreign country. Good times.

Right, so after staying in Mexico for so long, I learned to think in Spanish. I can’t really explain it, but my mind just worked in Spanish and I had to struggle to think in English when I’d speak to my parents. Then when I came home, I had to almost retrain myself to think in English. It was very bizarre, but man was I fluent. I watch Spanish TV almost nonstop (Univision). I was still addicted to the Spanish Novelas and had to keep hitting them to keep fluent. (By the way, Salvador used to joke about the soaps being called “novelas”. If you separate the word you get No ve Las…which basically means, “don’t watch them.” – funny huh? ) One such novela stuck with me, Alcanzar Una Estrella. The lead was a hot Mexican boy and I was so infatuated – Eduardo Capetillo. The song has been stuck in my head all morning. And wouldn’t you know it…YouTube had it.

0 comments: