Thursday, January 14, 2010

Al-Tuna The Hun Ruins

Today was Al-Tun Ha Mayan ruins. Both sister in laws and I headed out to these and a Belize City tour.

We started the day be having to tender into Belize. The bay is too shallow for the cruise ships so we had to get on these little dingy's and go into town about 2 miles from the boat. These "dingy's" seat about 40 people...so they aren't that small. But it was interesting. A bit choppy, but fun.


Belize in general is beautiful. Belize City, not so much. Poverty stricken and just nothing to really warrant a tour in my opinion. I was expecting to see some historical sites, and instead got to see some houses that have been put together by gum and shoe laces...scary. It does make you feel fortunate for what you have though.

Al-Tun Ha ruins were nice. They weren't as big as I expected them to be, just one big plaza of structures. No temples per se. The tour guide said temples are only in ruins when sacrifices were performed. I still am not 100% sure how they know, but they do.



After the ruins, the sister in laws and I HAD to have a local beer. Belikin beer. Tasted like Tecate again. Makes me wonder if they're all made in the same brewery. It was refreshing and tasty, so I didn't mind. Then we made it back to Belize City and we decided we were hungry. Off to The Wet Lizard bar. We had more beer and tacos that were out of this world. We also had some interesting salsa. It was cucumbers, onions, lime and cilantro. Sooo good.




The family all went their separate ways today and did a bunch of different things. We all gathered after for beer and chatter. Good times.

Tomorrow is Tulum. I can't wait. Its the excursion I've been waiting for. I got a nice little blister today so I'm not sure how tomorrow's going to go. But I don't care...I'm on vacation.

0 comments: