Friday, January 01, 2010

Well, hello Two thousand and ten...please be kind...

As I sit here watching the Tournament of Rose's parade I can't but feel a bit moody. (to be honest, I got all teary-eyed when Ohio State marching band went by - don't ask. Oddly enough I did not cry when the Oregon Ducks - blech - went by. I mean their uniforms did almost make me throw up...)

Right, where was I? Oh yes, the year that was.

It wasn't a horrible year. But it wasn't a good year either. In fact, I know more people who are quicker to bid it farewell than to be sad to see it go. Why is that? How is it that so many people could have had such a crap year?

As I sit here in my new pink Sunggie (Blueberry got me one for Christmas which we celebrated last night) my mind quickly drifts to the bad of 2009 - and there was a lot. But then I forced my mind on the good, and found that when you really look, there are quite a few good. Sure, some of the bad, was - well - bad BAD, but we made it through. That is good. We prevailed. And I always will.

How do I know that? (OH geeze...here come the tears) because I have the greatest network of friends and family! There is nothing I can't get through and there is nothing our family can't get through because we have each other.

So let's wave goodbye to 2009, and welcome 2010 knowing we greet it with an army of courage. Bring it on!

And just what is my plan for 2010? Well, I have a small list. Just 10 things because well, it's the last two numbers in the year, so why not 10 things.

1. Monthly Photography - I'm going to do my best to get the PhotoGods back together in 2010. I miss getting out and taking some shots and learning a little about photography. We've already discussed it and while January will not work for me (I'll be on a cruise) we'll start in February. So hold on for some kick ass shots in 2010.

2. Photography / Cake decorating / Photoshop class - I think I want to take some type of class. I can't decide which of the aforementioned would be more fun, but which to take?

3. Bake more - specifically bread. I know, right? Bread? Why would you want to bake bread if you can just buy it? See, I am not a baker. No patience for it. But for some ungodly known reason I think I want to become the family cinnamon roll maker. My Gma Wraspir used to make some kickass cinnamon rolls and I miss them. I wish I would have learned from the Goddess of Cinnamon Rolls, but alas I did not. So now I have to suffer through it myself. My GalPal Claudia suggested I start with pizza dough - and oh by the way she'll help me taste test...in fact, she got me a pizza cookbook for my birthday - she's sneaky that one. So stayed tuned. We'll see how far I get with bread...but I swear to try. Any advice?

4. Visit Smith Tower - What is Smith Tower you ask? It s a Seattle historic landmark. It's got an observation deck with a unique view of Seattle. It is one of the first skyscrapers in the world and stands only 540ft, so it's not tall, but it's history.

5. Walk the docks by UW - I don't really know what else to call these, and I don't know how to get there (BigBro can help I'm sure), but out on Lake Washington by the UofW are several walking docks, etc. They go way out into the water and are all connected somehow. I drive by them every time I pass them on the 520 bridge and think I have to do the right thing and take a stroll on them.

6. Wine Tasting in Wenatchee - You may not know if you're not from around here, but Washington has some great wine country. There are several wineries in the area and only a couple hours drive away. Why not spend a weekend?

7. Museum of Glass - I've mentioned this before as it was going to be part of my list of 40. I didn't make it last year. But I will this year.

8. Visit Leavenworth - Leavenworth is this little village in the mountains here. It's a winter wonderland in the winter, and gorgeous during the spring and summer. Recently Amtrak has added Leavenworth to its schedule. How fun to just hop on the train, no worrying about driving/parking etc.

9. Monthly Scrapbooking - I gotta get caught up. Specifically heritage photos. I have hundreds of heritage photos that are screaming to be scrapbooked...I've had them for years. It's time to get the family history down on paper. Not to mention almost all of 2008 needs to be scrapbooked. I started yesterday by doing my 40th and 39th birthday parties (see how far behind I am) and made the goal of doing 4 pages a month. That's ONLY 2 - 2 page layouts, which I do all the time. That can't be that hard. I wonder if I can get ALL Caught up and not have anything to scrapbook by end of 2010...hmmmm? That would be huge...

10. This one I can't blog about. And one I'm not 100% sure will come to fruition. It depends on a lot of other forces coming together - or not coming together. So I'm leaving this one as possibly open for something else.

And with that, I'm going to get back under the Snuggie (BTW Blueberry did an "As Seen on TV" Christmas for me...though she doesn't know it - I asked for a Snuggie, the Perfect Brownie Pan, and a Grill Daddy - well she didn't actually get this one, but got me a gift card to go get it) and I'm going to finish watching the parade and then maybe, just maybe go for a little walk.

1 comments:

Pop Up Queen said...

Hey Jenn, Just catching up with your blog after an absence. I took a cake decorating class quite a few years ago - I loved it! But that's just me. Let me know what type of class you decide to to.