Saturday, January 16, 2010

And...we finish with Tropical Storm Wraspir

Before I get into the storm of all storms we floated through this morning, let me tell you about what we did yesterday.

We drank beer.

Okay, we did something more than drink beer. We went to Tulum. Tulum is a Mayan city on the shore that was responsible for trade that wasn't agriculture. Almost all other mayan cities traded agriculture, but this beautiful city was right on the water and so was able to keep themselves alive for awhile. Until the Spaniards of course.



I had Tulum on my list of ruins to see and am so glad I got to see it. It was gorgeous. I can't even tell you how beautiful it was. It was windy though. I couldn't believe how windy it was. But we all survived the tour bus ride and the walk to the ruins. We had a fantastic tour guide who was very passionate about the Mayans and their culture. I learned a lot about them. A few things I didn't know either.

The castilla (castle) below is the main temple of the ruins. I can't tell you the whole story about it because 1) I can't remember and 2) limited minutes left on the boat. But if you're ever in Cozumel Mexico, take the hour trip south to Tulum. You won't be disappointed.


After walking through the ruins, STL SIL and I walked straight to the restaurant and bought ourselves a beer. It was sooo hot yesterday, and humid. Sunny at times, (I got burnt) but the humidity was almost unbearable. So we had to quinch our thirst with Mexican water - aka beer. And while we were there we decided to have some tacos. Mmmm.

The trip to Tulum was a 30 minute boat ride (ferry) in very rocky waters, then an hour bus ride. We stopped about 10 minutes out for a potty break (apparently at the site you have to pay to use the restrooms...a whole $.35 ...

After the the ruins and boat ride, we took another VERY rocky boat trip back to Cozumel. Once there we were greeted by a beautiful rainbow. Half the family went into Cozumel to shop and the smart ones of us, went back to the boat. Just crossing the gang plank and the skies opened and dumped.

We are at sea today (Saturday) and unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating enough to be out on deck. But I don't care...I'm on vacation. We sailed through a MASSIVE storm this morning. Thunder and lightening, and sheets of rain and wind. I sat just inside the deck and watched and sang the Gilligan Island theme song in my mind. As the lightening flashed and thundered roared, I sat complete content and not even a bit worried we'd sink.

Today we're all just hanging around the boat. Some of us reading, some of us playing shuffle board, and some of us drinking coffee. Tomorrow we disembark and will start our New Orleans part of this adventure. I can't wait. And can only hope its warmer than it was when we left.

0 comments: