Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hola from Costa Maya...

First off, if you got an email from me and you weren't expecting one, and it had no subject line, ignore it! Apparently I picked up a virus yesterday from the internet onboard...and I'm not talking of the Noro type. Sorry if you did.


Today we docked in Costa Maya Mexico. No photos unfortunately. I'm not on my computer, but the ships. I'll get them posted eventually. Anyhow, Costa Maya wouldn't really exist if the cruise ships didn't come in here. There was absolutely nothing but tourist shops on the dock. Thankfully we were not sticking to the dock.

We headed to Chacchoben Mayan ruins. Not as cool as Chitza Nitza I had seen previously in my trips to Mexico, but still pretty darn cool. We took a short bus ride - as in duration not length of the bus - to the ruins. Once there our tour guide gave us the low down on the site. At least what they "think" it was about. Interesting that it seems a lot of what's "known" about the Mayans seems to be a good guess as to what happened. Anyhow, it was fun, and pretty cool to hear all the history and information about the region of Mexico we are in.

After the tour we hopped back on the bus. Along the route, we stopped at this little village in which the women were selling pineapple slices with a chili powder on them. BigBro and I had heard of this before we left, so we decided we needed to try it. Interesting flavor. The sweet and salty thing going on. Not hot as in spicy and not like our chili powder. But it was pretty good.

Tomorrow a few of us are off to Santo Tomas to see the San Felipe Fortress. Hopefully I'll fix my computer and can post photos. Again, sorry if you got the virus email. I hate that.

The ship is moving a lot tonight. There's a lot of speculation that we'll hit a few big waves thanks to that earthquake in Haiti. I'm not too worried. I kinda like the rocking. It's soothing. Except when I'm trying to walk staight, then not so much.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, its like we are actually there with you except Im toasty warm here. We are enjoying your postings and pictures so far. Love the photo with the sunlight through the clouds.