Thursday, February 04, 2010

Cuz we're all in the mood for a melody


As it turns out, I got to attend the above mentioned concert. HikerGirl and Marathon Bob had tickets for last November's show, which was sadly cancelled due to Elton having ecoli. And then HikerGirl and Marathon Bob up and moved out of the state.

Fast forward to the "make up" show that was scheduled for Feb 3, 2010. Poor babies couldn't make it over for the show. Now, while I dont' want to go into details about how I was actually second fiddle to going to this show (Blueberry was set up on a blind date that didn't pan out - so I got invited. Oh gee...I can go into it.) Anyhow, I was thrilled to attend for and represent HikerGirl and Marathon Bob. I think we did a pretty good job representing them too...we both sang out of key and at the top of our lungs. I made fun of people in my head as I was watching them act like idiots, so it was if we were HikerGirl and MB. Not that either of them would make fun of people...never. No, not ever.

The set up was pretty fun. Two grand pianos facing off. Now, I have to admit I'm not a HUGE Elton John fan. I know a few songs and can sing along with the best of them. But...I only knew like three songs he sang last night, honestly! Where was I during the 70's? OH yah, I was still not quite into music yet.

Anyhow, if you're going to have two dueling pianos, you'd be hard pressed to find two better. The two of them can sure make pretty sounds come from that big black box thingy with ivory on it.

Our seats were, well, high. I looked at it as only the most important would sit so high in an arena. I really didn't care. For starters the tickets were free. And second, I could still hear the music. Didn't really need to see the two old guys on the stage pounding it out. (Oh that sounds soooo bad).


Now, I mentioned I wasn't an Elton John fan. And I don't think I ever will be. I wasn't impressed. He barely spoke to the crowd. He played his songs...and played and played and played. He took "Rocket Man" and made it into a 10 minute jamming session. He did that with several of his songs. Blah! I want to hear you sing, not you and your band "jam". Still I think he's a pop icon and he was on my list to see. Now, thanks to HikerGirl and Marathon Bob I have. So thanks for that.

Now Sir Billy (Yes I know Elton is actually the "Sir", but I think Billy deserves it) he is an entirely different story. He's a comedian. He cracked jokes about the Tacoma dome and the smell down there. He thanked "spokane" for being there (as he pointed to the cheap seats in the WAY back). Funny! He was engaged with the crowd. He talked between songs. He sang the song without any "jamming". Pure talent to me. And of course it allowed me to sing along with all the songs (with the exception of a couple I had never heard).
 
The concert opened with them singing a couple of their songs together (Your Song, Just the Way You Are, Don't let the Sun, and one other I forget n- oh my life - okay I cheated and googled the set list). After which Billy's piano went down on a lift and Elton "thrilled" (I say that sarcastically - there needs to be a font for sarcasm) us for an hour. Then Billy came out and rocked the place. Songs he sang that I could sing along with: She's Always a Woman, Allentown, We didn't Start the Fire, Only the good Die young, and It's still rock and roll to me). Love it. It was like seeing Dudley, but not.

Then the two came back out and did a couple more songs. Most notably was Uptown Girl in which Billy made faces during the song. Hilarious. They closed the show with Goodbye Norma Jean and Piano Man. Piano Man could quite possibly be my most favoritest song from him.

So a big bad thank you to HikerGirl and Marathon Bob for the tickets. We did truly have fun. And we did talk about you while we were there. Oh, next time you get tickets can you be sure the guy who sits next to me isn't monstrous in size and doesn't smell of cologne and body odor? Thanks! Oh and while you're at it, can you be sure the people in the row in front of us stay in their seats and not get up every freakin second to go pee or get a beer? I'm just sayin...if you could just do me that solid next time you buy tickets that you unfortunately can't use.

0 comments: