Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I met up with a gambler, we were both too tired to speak

A friend once told me that I was the most inward thinking person she knew. At the time I dismissed it as a drunk friend spilling her emotions when the alcohol took down her barriers. Still, it's stayed with me and even today I think about it.

I was asked by a recruiter a couple of weeks ago if I were the hiring company would I bet on me. Without a second thought, or hesitation I answered, "you bet!" After I got over the initial groan of an unexpected pun, the recruiter asked me if I wanted to change my bet. Again, no hesitation, I responded, "I'd bet on me every time."

I felt like I had just participated in an odd, but eye opening, psychological test. It got me thinking, "Would I bet on myself every time?" I've told people I am a horrible gambler and have no gambling kharma - yet I'd lay down the chips on myself every. single. time. No hesitation.

It got me to wondering about the betting we do daily. True to it's nature actual betting is full of swagger. Metaphor is betting's middle name.

Raise.

Bluff.

Fold.

Call.

Stand.

Hit.

Bust.

During my recent job search I've found myself sticking to what I know. I've got a nice little routine. I crave what is familiar. All the while knowing my daily routine is nothing familiar. It's the last place I'd rather be. I'd rather be working PM Magic on a project that has my name on it. And yet, I have to trust that soon my skills will be hard at work. I never wavered that I'd find a job. I never felt sorry for myself for being unemployed. I never really worried overly much about I wouldn't come out on top and be better for it.

I was betting (trusting) on me. And I'd do it every time.

Trust is a gamble. Yet we trust everything around us - mostly. We trust our family. We trust our companies. We trust our next paycheck is in the mail. We trust the smarmy news anchor will tell us the truth about a disaster. But are we trusting? Or are we hoping? Hoping that indeed the trust I'm giving freely will not be broken?

It's all a gamble really. No guarantees when you put your chip down on lucky number 13 you'll win. Odds are you may not. And yet we trust ourselves. Willing to let go of that $5 (I have gambling limits remember?) that maybe, just maybe I'll win.

I'm finding that in my ripe old age (all 41 years of it) that regardless of the many times I've fallen on my face, that folding is not in my blood. It's for losers. Winners go all in. Winners hedge their bets. They roll the dice and they will lay down that bet again and again and again.

You know what, I will bet on myself again and again and again.

0 comments: