Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Solitaire is the only thing in life that demands absolute honesty. -

Solitaire is also know as Patience. Interesting little tid bit and every so accurate for the Ah-Ha moment I had while playing solitaire during the Great Unemployment Adventure.

Solitaire has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My grandmother was an avid solitaire player. I can remember the many summers we used to spend at her house and hearing the familiar shuffle, bridge, shuffle, bridge, tap, tap tap. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Even as I write that I can see her sitting at her table. It was therapeutic to hear it. After several minutes of that she'd lay the cards out and begin to play. Sometimes she'd win. Sometimes she'd lose. But for an hour or so she'd sit at the kitchen table and play. But she'd never cheat. Even upon my suggestion, she'd never cheat.

I've cheated at solitaire. I get a moment of satisfaction from "winning" which is promptly followed by another deal to "fix" the fact I cheated. Thankfully in the computer age, I can't.

Ahem...

Along side of the cards she'd always have a bottle of Planters Dry Roasted peanuts opened. Several would be poured into the lid. As she played she'd take a couple of peanuts. Next to the peanuts would be a small glass of rose wine. Usually out of a box. But there she'd sit for hours sometimes playing. As a kid I remember sitting next to her "helping" her. She never complained, never shoo'd me away. In fact she had a ton of Patience with me. She taught me how to play. I wish I had take a photo of her playing...

Right, so my Ah-Ha moment. I play solitaire on the iPhone now. I'm addicted. I can't help myself. Some games I win, most I don't. I play Canfield Solitaire now, thanks to the MomUnit getting me hooked. It's crack for solitaire players.

As I play Solitaire there comes a point when I think I'm going to lose. My instinct is to quit at that moment. Reshuffle. Start over. A click of the mouse I can begin anew.

I find myself sticking with it though. I keep saying to myself, "The next shuffle might rustle the cards loose. Keep going." And sometimes, miraculously, I win.

My "Ah-Ha moment" was realizing that life is a lot like that. There are times, current time in my life, where I want to quit. Reshuffle the cards. But the smarter side of me says, "keep going. The next round through the cards may work."

I may win some or lose some, but at least I know that I've played the hand I was dealt.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a solitaire game to win.

PS - the phone interview went well. Called back for a face to face on Friday! Glad I didn't reshuffle.

0 comments: