Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Unusual Suspect

I have a huge pond in my back yard. Every year around this time the tree frogs serenade me with their song. It's probably a mating song, which is gross, but pleasant if you don't think about it. It used to be annoying and now I find it's soothing. Occasionally you hear a bull frog singing off key, but I can look past that.

A couple of nights ago, the rain was hammering down and the frogs were singing away out there. I have my windows opened and could hear the chorus of frogs mixed with the pounding rain, it was blissful. Relaxing. It made me feel like I was camping out without the actual camping out (cuz we all know I don't do that right?)

Last night I walked into my room and couldn't believe how loud the frogs were. I mean they usually get loud, but they seemed to be in my room. Thousands of them, and cricket too. "huh?", I thought, "I haven't ever heard crickets." I laid down in bed and enjoyed the sound all the same. Relaxing. A soft breeze blew in from the window and it just felt so nice and peaceful.

I turned to see what time it was an noticed a green light illuminated on my clock. No need for an alarm so I'll just shut it off. Depressing the button the frog, cricket, out doorsy sounds stop.

I lay there face palming my head. "What an idiot!", I say.

I bolt up and glance around the darken room. How'd my nature sound on the clock get turned on? No timer for it. I didn't do it. Oh crap...a crazy person probably broke into the house and turned on my clock - at which point I realized I have to stop watching who done it shows at night.

Hopping out of bed, I frantically switched on all the bedroom lights. Opened the closet and checked for said crazy people.

All the while at the end of my bed, an unassuming cat puddle moved. He stretched. Blinked and gave me the look of, "Pray tell why did you wake the King from his slumber."

Realizing I was being an idiot. I switched off all the lights and went back to bed. Laughing at myself, I watched the "beast" jump up on to the window sill right above my night stand. You see where this is going don't you?

It's a thin window sill, and one the beast doesn't really "fit" on too well. He notices I'm watching him and jumps down.

The room is suddenly filled with frogs and cricket sounds and a little green light appears on my clock.

Damn cat.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

I laughed until I cried at the vision I had in my head after I read this blog. I knew who the culprit was, but your version of it was funny. You see, it happened while we were there as well. I thought you had done it to be funny, so I REFUSED to bite and say something to you, when all along it was the damn cat!