Wednesday, June 23, 2010

They say idle hands...

Idle is the last thing my hands have been today. I'm motivated. I'm inspired. I'm full of caffeine. And you know when those three things collide some serious scrapbooking is getting done.

It all started last night with Crazy L and Blueberry came over. Crazy L was hoping for some scrapbook pointers from the Queen Scrapbooker - me apparently. Anyhow, it got me motivated as I helped, watched, cropped, cut, matched, chalked, etc. Then this morning bright and early I was up and at 'em.

The MomUnit has sent me some old photos she's been holding on to thinking I'd want some of my very sexy and very 80's school photos. Its not like I'll be putting them up around the house, so might as well preserve them.

I started with a photo I took of the Irby Valley some 25 years ago - give or take. I remember this day very well. I was bored. Which wasn't different than any other day at the farm. I, being a city girl, found myself bored more than once on the peaceful little farm in the middle of no-where. (Side note: This was long before Starbucks entered my world - because I would have had to drive to Moses Lake for coffee - if I was driving by then). Anyhow, the day was sunny and bright. It was hot, and off over the scab rock (that's what it's called I swear) were some storm clouds. I was sitting on the lawn chair out front talking to Grandpa when he pointed out the rainbow between the two trees. Running in to get my camera I snapped this photo. The following Christmas, I framed it and gave it to the GrandparentUnits. It hung in their house until they no longer lived there.

Senior Year! Oh the memories. We were home from Saudi for Christmas (I think) and in a whirlwind attempt to get things done I had to get my Senior photos done, order announcements, and buy a prom dress - during Christmas time. Super easy. Yah right. Mom scheduled the photo shoot and off I went. This was one of several shots we thought did me justice. I was stunned when I saw this photo again to realize I, indeed, had a mullet in high school. Though friends have said, kind friends, that it's not so much a mullet as a Farah Fawcett du! I'll buy that. And pearls? Nice touch. Only they aren't pearls at all. If you lived through the 80's you know that costume jewelry was a big thing - plastic costume jewelry. I had a ton of it. And those bad boys around my neck are a fine example of such jewelry.

Not related to memories in the past - but memories of the here and now. You all know I'm doing cookies for fundraising for the breast cancer 3 day walk. I have, of course, photographed the first batch couple of batches. I'm quite proud of this layout. Sometimes they just come together and make a statement.


I've been asked to donate some scrapbooks to the Beyond Pink fundraiser in October. One will be Pink in theme - dah! The other will be one page for each month of the year. I'm so thrilled to be doing this. It's WAY easier to scrapbook when there aren't any photos to match or use. Part of the research I've been doing for this is just how much would people be willing to pay? While at the expo this year several people said, "I'd pay you to do my photos." It got me to wonder, just how much could I charge? I've found kits for sale anywhere from $5 to $8 for two page layouts. That's not too bad - or is my perception of how much scrapbooking costs off a bit? I figure each page I do is about $4 to $5 these days - so $7 or $8 means I'd be making some money for fundraising....hmmm, so many choices to fund raise. Maybe next year. Though if you want some pre-made scrapbook pages, let me know, we can work out a deal.

Why the sudden burst of energy? I mean I have been unemployed for 2 months and barely lifted the paper cutter...I got a job! Yep, got a job and should be starting next week. Once I get back into the workforce who knows how much time I'll have, so I'd better get it done now.

0 comments: